Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Skulls

Have at it, folks.....

CT scans of four ancient skulls suggest the early settlers of North America were more biologically diverse than previously thought.

The human settlement of the Americas has been a topic of intense debate for centuries, and there is still no consensus on the tempo and mode of early human dispersion across the continent. When trying to explain the biological diversity of early groups across North, Central and South America, studies have defended a wide range of dispersion models that tend to oversimplify the diversity observed across the continent. In this study, we aim to contribute to this debate by exploring the cranial morphological affinities of four late Pleistocene/early Holocene specimens recovered from the caves of Quintana Roo, Mexico. The four specimens are among the earliest human remains known in the continent and permit the contextualization of biological diversity present during the initial millennia of human presence in the Americas. The specimens were compared to worldwide reference series through geometric morphometric analyses of 3D anatomical landmarks. Morphological data were analyzed through exploratory visual multivariate analyses and multivariate classification based on Mahalanobis distances. The results show very different patterns of morphological association for each Quintana Roo specimen, suggesting that the early populations of the region already shared a high degree of morphological diversity. This contrasts with previous studies of South American remains and opens the possibility that the initial populations of North America already had a high level of morphological diversity, which was reduced as populations dispersed into the southern continent. As such, the study of these rare remains illustrates that we are probably still underestimating the biological diversity of early Americans.
    Rhode Island

I took a quick read. My initial impression, is that the opinions were being made based on structures on a very old skull, which to me, would be very difficult to make. I doubt those assessments could be made without a pretty high possibility of error. But then again, maybe they can. It is interesting.
    South Dakota

Comment

Well Charlie, I’d like your thoughts...In my reading of the library in Alexandria , I was vastly surprised at how far people went to learn and write of history.. Just my opinion that we lost so much info in the burning, non recoverable history...
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

An interesting opinion.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

One thing i know: What we don't know is much more than what we do know.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            Amen.👍

Originally posted by Lindenmeier-Man View Post
          Well Charlie, I’d like your thoughts...In my reading of the library in Alexandria , I was vastly surprised at how far people went to learn and write of history.. Just my opinion that we lost so much info in the burning, non recoverable history...

Yeah, absolutely, we lost much of the accumulated knowledge of the ancient world with the burning of the Library of Alexandria. An incalculable loss, really.

And what Ron says about what we do not know being far more than what we do know, certainly applies to what we can know of human prehistory. Without writing, written thoughts and records, we simply cannot expect to know as much as we do for times and cultures that did leave written records.

The sciences that assist in archaeology have provided remarkably innovative tests and methods of extracting information from prehistoric sites. It can't substitute for writing, but I find it quite amazing at the way various disciplines can extract info that can then be used to learn things about prehistoric peoples.

But boy, would time travel provide a lot of answers.
          Rhode Island

Comment

We are all fearfully and wonderfully made. No two skulls are alike and to make assumptions on two partial skulls is reaching a bit. Maybe they should have gone for the DNA approach unless that what the “scans”of the skulls 💀 did. I wouldn’t build a church on the basis of 4 texts so to reinvent the wheel so to speak based on 4 skulls and to say there were different migration areas is stretching it a bit. How about the suggestion that after the Tower of Babel more than 2-3 groups ventured into the Americas when God divided the nations and confounded the languages. Could explain some of the differences in overlapping paleo types of points that may have been peoples expressions of tribe or individuality . Easy to see how that is possible seeing the historical Indians had their customs , dress, weapon and point styles languages ect. They all fell from the same tree but a couple thousand years and there was many distinct groups of people when the first Americans arrived. Just my biblical historical view . I’ve been wanting to do my own version of when the first Americans came (3800 yearsish) With a biblical post antediluvian starting point that would include a much more condensed timeframe based on point types/styles found in North America.

Comment

Here is a more informative summary than the Newsweek article I posted at the start:

Rhode Island

Comment

I remember Kennewick man looked like John Luke Packard, started a bit of a deal. Later DNA came back (matches the young lady from Mexico too) His Mitochondrial is X2A and Y hap is Q-M3 . They look very much Jamon but are very far removed. The bottleneck in Beringia got some rather interesting mixes and caused "founders effect" . We now are starting to know the where they came from but the how when and why, I doubt we will ever know. Look at those Clovis beveled bone rods. We now know they are indeed fore-shafts (big ones too) and we know we have found them in one other place, Siberia 35-40k YBP

Comment

Working...
                X