X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Age Seeds Produce Flowering Plants

Now how cool is this....

Rhode Island

That's pretty dang cool...in more ways than one! I want a wooly mammoth!

Comment

That’s both amazing and reassuring. Not far from me in West Sussex we have the world’s largest seed bank in a nuclear-weapon-proof multi-storey underground vault at sub-zero temperatures. The seeds are checked for viability every 10 years. There are over a billion seeds stored away (with room for billions more), representing more than 10% of the world’s species of land plants. They aim to reach 25% by 2020.
      It’s an international collaborative project designed as mankind’s insurance policy for the future. Let’s hope we never need it.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

painshill wrote:

That’s both amazing and reassuring. Not far from me in West Sussex we have the world’s largest seed bank in a nuclear-weapon-proof multi-storey underground vault at sub-zero temperatures. The seeds are checked for viability every 10 years. There are over a billion seeds stored away (with room for billions more), representing more than 10% of the world’s species of land plants. They aim to reach 25% by 2020.
        It’s an international collaborative project designed as mankind’s insurance policy for the future. Let’s hope we never need it.
          Thats good to know...I hope they have my favorite medicinal plant in there :whistle:

Comment

Cool story by the way CMD...

Comment

That is good news, Roger! I hope they reach their goal by 2020.

Comment

That's great, Roger. I hope we don't need it either, but it's a great project. Heather, be careful what you wish for! Nah, I'd like to see them clone a wooly mammoth too Here's to good medicine, Ryan :laugh:
              Rhode Island

Comment

That is interesting.

Comment

That is cool!
                  and Painshill, cool, but in more ways than one, scary.
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Ice age flowers!  Pretty cool!  Got my attention.  I can see those in my flower bed.  Wouldn't want to see no huge animal in my back yard...Nope!

Comment

Working...
                    X