Archeology, Humans, Dogs, and Horses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archeology, Humans, Dogs, and Horses

When young and wanting to be archeologist, during library-athons would occasionally find references to what place horses/dogs held in lives ancient humans.
    Would imagine taming wild creatures (Supergirl got nothing on Cavegirl!), and taking down big prey together. Primitive horse and dog run down anything with right human (me!)

No longer interested in taking down any prey, and definitely would be pescatarian/vegetarian if didn’t have grocery stores, but still love dogs, horses, ancient history. Coupla short non-tech articles putting them together:

Around 11,500 years ago, in what is now northeast Jordan, people began to live with dogs and may also have used them for hunting, according to a new study by archaeologists from the University of Copenhagen and University College London. They suggest that the introduction of dogs as hunting aids may explain the dramatic increase of hares and other small prey in the archaeological remains at the site.

Analysis of Paleolithic-era teeth from a 28,500-year-old fossil site in the Czech Republic provides supporting evidence for two groups of canids—one dog-like and the other wolf-like—with differing diets, which is consistent with the early domestication of dogs.

(PhysOrg.com) -- An international team of archaeologists has uncovered the earliest known evidence of horses being domesticated by humans. The discovery suggests that horses were both ridden and milked. The findings could point to the very beginnings of horse domestication and the origins of the horse breeds we know today. Led by the Universities of Exeter and Bristol (UK), the research is published on Friday 6 March 2009 in leading academic journal Science.

In the increasingly urbanized world, few people still ride horses for reasons beyond sport or leisure. However, on horseback, people, goods and ideas moved across vast distances, shaping the power structures and social systems of the premechanized era. From the trade routes of the Silk Road or the great Mongol Empire to the equestrian nations of the American Great Plains, horses were the engines of the ancient world.

Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Strange that California indians didn't develop a horse culture of any kind, as far as I am aware of. Horses were eaten in historical times but mostly not ridden.
    As for dogs, we read some tribes kept them and others didn't. Wappo in Napa and Sonoma are said not to have had dogs but did have other animals as pets. The Patwin , their neighbors, did keep dogs and even used them in hunting. Why adjacent people's with very similar lifestyles would have this difference is unknown and quite odd, when you think about it.
    California

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      This theory of Cecilia, Cavegirl: Man hunted horses for food, running herds into pits and other traps. Dogs were Man’s hunting rivals. Packs of them pulled down meat that human “packs” wanted, too. I can easily imagine a scenario where the two packs end up same place, after same dinner, maybe a horse. Dogs undoubtedly fought for “their” food, as did Man for his. Ancient human and canine lives tangled in most unpleasant way. Man wins: takes out a Mama Dog or two, and takes home Mama Horse, as dinner.

Pups crying, little baby foal crying. Mama Human woman takes puppies and colt/filly home with her to raise (after she skins and cooks Mama Horse). Domestication begins.....

There’s site reports showing dog burials in mounds in south west Florida, indicating they were held in high regard, (Noah liked em too,,he had a couple of em on the Ark. )
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      👍thank you Noah!

I've heard of some theories that man may have inadvertently helped the more docile wolves (maybe pups) who would be near humans but not be aggressive, therefore getting food scraps, not starving, growing stronger and having a better chance to reproduce. Passing on a calmer personality to the next generation of wolves, eventually becoming easier to domesticate. Makes sense to me.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Yay, FlintGuy! Wanted to address Dog's predecessor Wolf, but you said for me. Also, I read same thing in several sources.
      Last edited by Cecilia; 03-30-2020, 03:20 PM.
Working...
X