"The Little Horny Man"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Little Horny Man"

And now, a new claim!! The oldest human carving in the Americas??
    A carving of a stick figure discovered by archaeologists in a cave in Brazil is believed to be the earliest example of rock art in the Americas and could shed new light on when the New World was first settled.

Rhode Island

That looks like natural rock spalling to me.
    Jack

Comment

greywolf22 wrote:

That looks like natural rock spalling to me.
      Jack
        mmmmmm.... not ever so convincing is it? They say it's "pecked" and that there are other similar examples in the cave, plus evidence of a tradition in this kind of stick-man art elsewhere in Brazil. The original paper is rather more convincing:
      Background Most investigations regarding the First Americans have primarily focused on four themes: when the New World was settled by humans; where they came from; how many migrations or colonization pulses from elsewhere were involved in the process; and what kinds of subsistence patterns and material culture they developed during the first millennia of colonization. Little is known, however, about the symbolic world of the first humans who settled the New World, because artistic manifestations either as rock-art, ornaments, and portable art objects dated to the Pleistocene/Holocene transition are exceedingly rare in the Americas. Methodology/Principal Findings Here we report a pecked anthropomorphic figure engraved in the bedrock of Lapa do Santo, an archaeological site located in Central Brazil. The horizontal projection of the radiocarbon ages obtained at the north profile suggests a minimum age of 9,370±40 BP, (cal BP 10,700 to 10,500) for the petroglyph that is further supported by optically stimulated luminescence (OSL) dates from sediment in the same stratigraphic unit, located between two ages from 11.7±0.8 ka BP to 9.9±0.7 ka BP. Conclusions These data allow us to suggest that the anthropomorphic figure is the oldest reliably dated figurative petroglyph ever found in the New World, indicating that cultural variability during the Pleistocene/Holocene boundary in South America was not restricted to stone tools and subsistence, but also encompassed the symbolic dimension.

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks for the fuller context, Roger.
        Rhode Island

Comment

Charlie, how do you find this stuff!
          Roger the article you posted is written to be more convincing, but I still don't always believe what I read!
          Must be "effigy" month on the forums
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Got me on this one, Charlie! :blink: I see everything from faces of Native Americans and faces of white men and women, to animals of different species in my rocks. :whistle: But for cryin' out loud...I don't see a stick man of any kind in the photo of that rock!  Guess I'm slippin! 

Comment

Sorry....I thought this thread was about me...at least that's what my wife calls me..... :whistle:

Comment

Pure fantasy............."as long as his arm" ?

Comment

CliffJ wrote:

Sorry....I thought this thread was about me...at least that's what my wife calls me..... :whistle:
                    :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                  X