INDIAN MOUND

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rmartin wrote:

Pam, I was thinking about this thread today. As neat as your mound is, it is not uncommon here in Illinois. I have seen at least three old historic cemeteries that had or were very near Indian mounds. It seems as though at least some our forefathers recognized hallow ground.
      And not just in the Americas. Early Christianity often placed their places of worship atop the ruins of earlier "pagan" sacred sites. Of course they often did so to take over those sites and claim them as their own.
    Rhode Island

Comment

[QUOTE]CMD wrote:

Originally posted by rmartin post=43921
      Pam, I was thinking about this thread today. As neat as your mound is, it is not uncommon here in Illinois. I have seen at least three old historic cemeteries that had or were very near Indian mounds. It seems as though at least some our forefathers recognized hallow ground.
        And not just in the Americas. Early Christianity often placed their places of worship atop the ruins of earlier "pagan" sacred sites. Of course they often did so to take over those sites and claim them as their own.
        Hmmm...How often I have wondered about the ways of the world.  Hallowed ground, or sacred ground, whichever words are chosen to describe it; the common denominator in both is, "ground."  The ground itself is as sacred as that which lies within it; isn't it?  Seems man is always claiming what is thought to belong to him, when in fact, it belongs to all.  What money can buy, or what violence and war can deliver, are indeed the ways of the world in which we live.
      Preserving ground that was once a land of plenty for the Native American in the Americas, is a beautiful site to behold.  What I think of when I see this mound is a way of the world that is no longer.  Too bad we don't always learn from our mistakes. 
      As for me, as uneducated and ignorant as I may be, this hobby has brought new meaning to my life...whether I bring home just a rock, or an artifact.  I feel at peace while seeking artifacts and maybe it's more about the peace I feel than the artifact itself.  I just don't know anymore.  Whatever the case, those on this forum who do not appreciate the bladelets or the scrapers or the tools as much as the points, are simply seeking something different than myself.  There is no right or wrong.  IMHO

Comment

Well put Pam and thanks for the post.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

Well put Pam and thanks for the post.
            Thanks, Greg.  I think I got off topic a tad.  The wheels in my head were burning rubber! :whistle:

Comment

Amen, Sister!!!

Comment

Working...
            X