Bone with eveidence of butchering from Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone with eveidence of butchering from Ohio

Said to predate Clovis by seven hundred years!
    This is an awesome article.
    http://www.leaderpost.com/technology...457/story.html
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Good article Hoss!  Pretty amazing those monsters were here being hunted by humans here in the U.S.  A really good book on bone tooling identification is "Ice Age Hunters of the Rockies", by Dennis Stanford.  It show many examples of bison bones and the indicators of butchering.  It was interesting to see which bones were crushed for marrow and left at the kill site, as opposed to the bones carried to the butcher site.  Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Thanks Hoss. Here’s a pic of some of the cutmarks (credit: copyright Cleveland Museum of Natural History):

… and a nice downloadable summary with more pictures here:

I perceive the usual and unhelpful sloppiness about date reporting in “second-hand” sources. CMNH quotes a “calendrical” age of 13,458 to 13,716 “calibrated years before present”, so, I take that to be the true age. Radiocarbon dates would otherwise define “the present” as 1950AD, adding a further 61 years to the quoted age.
      I would also assume that the confidence limits on the dating reflect both the measurement uncertainty and the calibration curve error. In any case, for an item of that age the calibration error would be less than +/- 50 years.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks for sharing

Comment

As opposed to fossil bone with well defined bite marks.

Cretaceous
            Bone2stone
          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
          Circa:1982

Comment

It is now known that there were people here before Clovis. The Gault site in Texas shows us this and other sites. I think the before Clovis in now excepted by most.
            I would like to see some pictures of the leg bone.
            Jack

Comment

greywolf22 wrote:

It is now known that there were people here before Clovis. The Gault site in Texas shows us this and other sites. I think the before Clovis in now excepted by most.
              I would like to see some pictures of the leg bone.
              Jack
                There's one pic higher up the thread and more in the pdf file I linked to, Jack. They come up small in the document, but since it is pdf they withstand a lot of magnification.
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Ok I see it now.
                Thanks
                Jack

Comment

Working...
                X