• Lumpy flint figurines may be some of the earliest depictions of real people

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	469737
    Lumpy flint figurines may be some of the earliest depictions of real people

Live Science - Tom Metcalfe
    Archaeologists at an ancient burial site in Jordan thought one of their team might have sunstroke when he suggested some rough flints he'd found …

https://www.livescience.com/grave-fi...portrayal.html
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

They were being economical with the lithic material. The "figurines" were made on a blade using blade/core technology. If I was going to knap an effigy I would probably start with a simple percussion flake.

The "figurines" could easily be cleaned up using micro flaking and an abrading stone: I wonder why they didn't do that.
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 07-13-2020, 10:40 AM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I pick up every piece of flint, and bring home ...Now, I’m kind of freaked out...
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Interesting finds but I'm still skeptical. If they were able to create what they could create and these may have been in supposed honor of their dead, why so crude? A skilled knapper could make one looking much more like a figure with not much more work.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed Greg; I am also a skeptic.

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          I dunno....Maybe all the women wore ballgowns back then...

Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          No joke, I was in Portsmouth Ohio last Saturday night, and some cult was out doing their thing, and they were all dressed up like Bubonic plague doctors waving signs that said "Bring Out Your Dead". It was very weird.

• SDhunter
          SDhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          For real Ethan?

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow. I couldn’t figure that one out..some crazy stuff goin on

I thought that during this Cannoli virus at least archeologists wouldn’t go nuts, but obviously I was wrong.lol...Nice postTom,
        Floridaboy.

Comment

Seriously, they look like blade &core stuff, similar to making gun flints, a break em flake em thing...Course they should be finding the finished tools, maybe they’re throwing em away, it wouldn’t be the first time...
          Click image for larger version

Name:	CF1B8DDA-8500-48B3-974C-0927AFC32856.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	469811 Click image for larger version

Name:	C5383C7D-30CD-4E1A-A0E2-182E52D2AECA.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	469812
          Floridaboy.

Comment

My belief is that this will add fuel to the fire for those who find a rock and proclaim it to be an effigy. However, so many that look the same shouldn't be ignored.
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

I'll have to make a note and see if I can find more detail, the article touches on a couple of things but doesn't really give much detail.

They are obviously made artifacts, so that's a start. The article says they have no cutting edge, when a bladelet like that is basically all cutting edge. So were they smoothed or worked some way? (Most of them still look sharp to me.)

The other thing the article touches on but doesn't explain is context. If they represent individual people vs just a generic human shape, I'd assume they were buried/treated with some degree of respect. The article just mentions they were found in the area of the cemetery but you can find a lot of lithic scatter that has nothing to do with a cemetery. (One per burial might indicate they are something special. Always placed near the same part of the body or combined with other relics as an offering might be other things that indicate they are something more than just tools...)
              Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...16F1113844C61B

Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

• Hal Gorges
                  Hal Gorges commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m not gonna give up, they look like tent pegs..lol.

• Hal Gorges
                  Hal Gorges commented
                  Editing a comment
                  P.s. my main argument is, I don’t believe they were monkeys doin it, , so it then becomes an issue of evolution, which I believe to a certain extent but in a reverse fashion, I.e. a blind fish had eyes, but because of environment it loses the ability to see, another example..Adam was created without sin and because of sin etc. , Now...What I see here is a much deeper issue going on, it has to with Satin attacking Gods creation story. Feel free ta correct me if you think I’m wrong anybody, please, ya ain’t hurtin my feelings...Interesting post Tom...p.s.im thinking hard about posting this, but in the end it’s my opinion...

• Tam
                  Tam commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Are you rolling your eyes yet Tom

I think they are effigies of Stradivarius Violins.

Not sure though: A few of them look like clothes pins.
                Last edited by Ron Kelley; 07-14-2020, 01:01 PM.
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
                X