• Strange stuff.

What’s the story on this?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	056E5BCB-AB06-4DFA-8023-8FFE97F5D0F2.jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	485405
    Floridaboy.

Very curious indeed. I, of course, have no idea about this stone as do you. I'm wondering if there is anything in the literature where learned people "back in the day" ever investigated the possibility that this was a hoax. I'm not saying it is a hoax but surely this piece has been or should have been analyzed as to its authenticity. Just me thinking. Thanks Hal for bringing this puzzle to our attention. First I ever knew about such a find.

Comment

Personally, I think it’s the product of a modern imagination. It reminds me of the Burrows Cave artifacts, (although Burrows Cave itself probably does not exist), although that’s really an entirely different effort to falsify the past. This just looks too fresh, and not Native American. I was surprised to see Richard “Mike” Gramly weighed in on it, I did not know that.

That Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone wearing fancy carvings of a face or mask, moons, arrows, teepees, an ear of corn, a deer leg and other finely-executed images is a gift that just keeps on giving. Thus, I have addressed it three previous times here....
      Rhode Island

Comment

It has been identified as having been made from a type of quartzite. The age, origin and function are not known. Carvings on one side depict an ear of corn among other things, and the other side has arrows, a moon shape, a spiral and some dots in an abstract form. It also has a hole all the way through, drilled from one end at 1/8 of an inch and from the other at 3/8 of an inch, meeting somewhere inside.

In 1994, a scope was inserted inside the hole to examine it and State Archaeologist Richard Boisvert later expressed the opinion that the drilling from both ends had been accomplished with 19th or 20th Century power tools. There were also scratches suggesting that it had been placed on and removed from a metal shaft several times.

From Boisvert: “I've seen a number of holes bored in stone with technology that you would associate with prehistoric North America. There's a certain amount of unevenness ... and this hole was extremely regular throughout. What we did not see was variations that would be consistent with something that was several hundred years old.”

In 1927, the stone was donated to the New Hampshire Historical Society and I believe is still on exhibit at the Museum of New Hampshire History.

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

The Burrow’s cave artifacts, an example of hoaxing with astonishingly poor attempts at imitating art from Old World cultures. No, not related to the egg. But there is a species of finds from the United States that the egg has always reminded me of, something that fits in the whole genre of out of place artifacts, of which there are notable examples. This “discovery”, not so much, since the finds are laughable, not too unlike the infamous cave artifacts that were presented here on our forum years ago.

Rhode Island

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Doc, have you watched the video of the Roswell rock? Interesting, I’d like to examine it and it’s characteristics in hand . Smoke & Mirrors ?

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            No JJ, never heard of the Roswell rock...

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            Just saw it, I’m just gullible enough to believe it’s not a fake..But what then...I believe if aliens then or now want to send us a message I don’t think we would have to decode it...was it a personal alien item that was lost, can’t say, I will say this , my wife and I experienced a close aircraft encounter ( there here and they left/leave footprints ) and I don’t wanna meet whoever was flying that thing..

I've seen this before, personally always assumed it was a modern fake. Nice art but not acient. Didn't even seem to be from the 1800s, looks like something from 1950. Was surprised to hear it has a provenance over 100 years. Hal, if you want to be entertained, as CMD mentioned, look into the Burrows cave stuff. Somebody spent a lot if time and money to make a crapload of fakes.
          Central Ohio

Comment

• flintguy
            flintguy commented
            Editing a comment
            sorry looks like he posted at the same time.

Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought aliens were growing corn, chuckling forever on that one..I got bored posting points...stay halfway out of trouble.

It’s been around a good while...
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

A little more about the 'egg stone'.

The provenance and provenience of the stone are not without controversy. What can be said with certainty is that it first reached public attention in 1872, notably from a report in the ‘New Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette’ (the leading newspaper in the state at the time) on 17th July 1872. This was a few weeks after its claimed discovery, which was said to have been early June.

Credit for the discovery was given to Seneca A. Ladd. The story he gave was that workers digging a fence-post hole unearthed a ‘suspicious lump of clay’ near the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee at a spot known as ‘Hodgson’s Mill’. Some sources say that the land was his and that he had hired the workmen; other sources say that he was just passing by and rescued the clay concretion from a dirt pile created by the workers. Either way, it he who was said to have broken it open and found the ‘egg stone’ within.

What we know of Ladd is that he was a prosperous local businessman and financier, born in 1819 in Loudon, NH. He trained as a carriage-maker but then established a business making pianos and melodeons. He was well-known locally as a ‘gentleman scientist’ and collector of geological specimens and artefacts. In 1869 he founded the ‘Meredith Village Savings Bank’ in an effort to encourage factory workers to save their money and filled the reception area of the building with items from his collection. It became a a kind of ‘cabinet of curiosities’ for his own personal prestige and the egg stone was ultimately added to this collection. He never directly made any money from the discovery, but enjoyed the attention it brought (some might say ‘revelled in it’).

The stone caught the attention of amateur scientist, Daniel J. Tapley of Danvers, Massachusetts and within two weeks of the claimed discovery he delivered a lecture on the stone for the Essex Institute in Middleton, Massachusetts. That was followed up with an article in ‘Anthropology: The American Naturalist’ published in November 1872 (Vol. 6, no. 11) where Tapley described it as a “Remarkable Indian Relic”. He also recounted how he had serendipitously come across it while on a fishing trip to Meredith the week after the stone had been found. What Tapley didn’t say is that his older brother lived in Meredith, was in at least one local club that also had Seneca Ladd as a member and that they were probably known to another.

Ladd held on to the stone and, over the next decade, various claims were made for it such as: “this stone has attracted the wonder of the scientific world, European savants having vainly tried to obtain it” without ever having been properly or professionally examined in detail. Ladd dubbed it “The Mystery Stone of Lake Winnipesaukee.” When Ladd died in 1892 the stone passed to one of his daughters, Frances Ladd Coe of Center Harbour, and she subsequently donated it to the New Hampshire Historical Society in 1927.

It was finally properly examined, both macroscopically and microscopically, by former State Geologist Eugene L. Boudette in 1994 and his published notes of 20th December make the following observations:

Probably quartzite of a type not readily recognizable as a New Hampshire rock.
              Might also be mylonite, a layered cataclastic (shattered or granulated) metamorphic rock formed by milling under high pressure in fault zones.
              Although not a familiar rock type in the state, New Hampshire cannot (yet) be ruled out as the source locality.
              It was turned on a lathe.
              The carving was done after turning, since the nose of the carved face does not rise above surface of the ovoid.
              The carving could have been done with either power or hand tools, including dental tools, using carbide or diamond tips or drill bits.

Comments about the nature of the hole (as in my post above) were made later by State Archaeologist Richard Boisvert. Other general observations made at various times were that:

It’s perfectly shaped and unblemished by any distortions or markings other than the pictogram carvings.
              None of the elements carved on it have any known connection to, or association with, the culture of the Abenaki, who inhabited this region
              The face on the stone more closely resembles Inuit or Aztec carvings.
              The teepee depicted is of a type more commonly used by natives in the American West.
              No similar Native American artefacts are known from New Hampshire or elsewehere, although ‘egg stones’ – polished, but both carved and uncarved - are known from other cultures around the world.

[Google ‘yoni stone’ or ‘Gwyneth Paltrow egg stone’ and then delete your browser history].

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
                Hal Gorges commented
                Editing a comment
                Woah, I don’t think I wanna know anymore about that,,Lol...I recon I should go back to selling swampland to tourists...
            Working...
            X