What do you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think

Hello everyone I live in Ohio and I am new to this site and and new to hunting for artifacts. I was courteous about how some of you feel about modern flint knapping , to me I don’t feel it’s right to do this! I think it just opened the door to nothing good

Welcome to the forum. I’ve never knapped. My first exposure to those who do was professional archaeologists who knapped in order to better understand the technology used to make the tools of the ancient cultures and life ways they were interested in studying. Jeff Boudreau, who wrote the best typology guide for my New England region was an accomplished knapper. Lots of my fellow collectors are as well. I’ve always figured they have a distinct advantage in interpreting the stone tools we all find. The flaking styles, etc., etc. So I do think knapping is a very relevant tool in learning about ancient stone technologies. We have a knapping section here on the forum, where you can see how good these guys are.

Of course, when made to deceive, and to end up on eBay, with the cottage industry of buffalo biscuit COA’s to support them, fakes, and sellers of fakes, and authenticity frauds, well that’s all bad. But I think overall, nothing inherently wrong with developing and showcase the skill, and beautiful results. And the education that can only help an archaeologist specializing in American prehistory, and the collector of same, IMHO....
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Rick tracey
      Rick tracey commented
      Editing a comment
      But do they destroy their work after they have finished and studied it? I think it’s sacred and should not be reproduced or taught to anyone! Doing so just opens a pandora’s against history and the people’s who made them!

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, but I don’t agree with you. I know some etch their names in finished pieces, but, if, after the positives I described, you would expect people to destroy their art, we can just agree to disagree.

• paohrocks
      paohrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said CMD and I agree. My uncle used to do a little knapping and as a kid I would occasionally travel with him to knap ins. What I learned there about knapping technology and lithics was incredible.

I asked Brett (Beatup) what he did with them, and he said gave most of them away as gifts! The knappers not only just have better understanding of what took for the People to create their tools, they also know specific lithics and varying qualities each may exhibit when worked in particular way with particular force. I’m just now begining to appreciate that. I started studying percussion bulbs recently because I haven’t been sure for more than a year what they even looked like! When first joined, teased knappers that they were just part of eternal, universal contest of who had “The Biggest Point”! 🤭. ....but they let me stay, anyway!

p.s. O, and lotsa knappers have own set of authentic knapping tools as used by the People (which I think too cool)!
    Last edited by Cecilia; 11-24-2020, 08:53 PM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Rick tracey
      Rick tracey commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry but I think it’s counterfeiting,and isn’t confined to eBay and the like

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Adjust your thinking Rick, you’ll land on your feet...This forum is a great place to learn the facts of life,Lol.

WHAT !!!,Its sacred???, where did that come from..oh by the way. Welcome from Florida.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• willjo
      willjo commented
      Editing a comment
      He come from Ohio where they have one of the biggest knap-in's in country. It is located on an old quarry site and state museum. do they destroy their points would not be a good question to ask there.

• Rick tracey
      Rick tracey commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes flint ridge, I grew up and live 10 mi from there

• Rick tracey
      Rick tracey commented
      Editing a comment
      My grandmother of Native American decent Floridaboy

I have to tap in here Tracy. If it's a hobby, we all have hobbies. If it's to fool people and make money you won't have an argument here. We are here basically to learn. I've been collecting Artifacts for over 60 years. I too have made some reproductions myself. I did it to learn how they did it. I must say that the points I have made, I've only used glass. No one will mistake glass for a real thing. The heave stone pieces I've made I have put my initials on, or a date. I do have a reverence for every NA relic I find. That said,TO EACH HIS OWN! Tracy I can't tell you or anyone else what to do. I can't insist that people do this or not do that. That only will set myself up to be disliked and disrespected. Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

There are several facets to this topic. First of all, knapping is a survival tool. Coupled with other survival skills, knapping is invaluable.
      Secondly, it opens up a door into the mind of ancient history. When you pick up an authentic piece, you can better understand how it was made, the tools used (whether antler, stone, or copper), what it was used for, what mistakes were made and what (if any) attempts were made to correct them. You can't completely understand this from reading about it. It's like learning a different language.
      Thirdly it is an art form that combines both history and the imagination. You can't completely appreciate an ancient arrowhead made from stone, until you test the limits of the medium yourself. Should we ban all modern painting because some people make forgeries?
      Well, I could go on, but I need to go to work. Welcome aboard.
      South Carolina

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        You are so right about not fully understanding from books alone! They are good start, but start only. If not for the few artifacts I’ve found, and the plethora of incredible gifts rec’d from generous folk here, I wouldn’t have the basics I do now! I’d love to be able to copy what I’ve held in my hands. And, “imitation sincerest form of flattery”…

I disagree with you
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Rick tracey
        Rick tracey commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes that’s fine

Its like everything else if you like doing it just do it.
      if you don't care about it, just ignore it. Just my opinion
      NW Georgia,

Comment

For any one interested, some history of knapping as experimental archaeology:

Central Virginia

Comment

I agree with the main comments on this thread however I will always wail on making sure any modern or repro piece is marked in some permanent way...or it gets the Ballpeen Treatment. Even when marked some of those marks can be obliterated or covered up. One fake ruins a whole casebox, maybe a whole collection imhop and they were being produced everywhere for well over 100 years. I'd bet less than 5 percent are marked.
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

• Rick tracey
            Rick tracey commented
            Editing a comment
            Iam no professor a layman in fact and have just started hunting for “arrowheads” about eight weeks ago I was born and raised in Hopewell county here in Ohio not far from flint ridge, and I may have ruffled some feathers with my question and some comments
        Working...
        X