Spectacular Rock Art Discovered in Columbia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spectacular Rock Art Discovered in Columbia

What is likely the most spectacular site of pictographic rock art in the entire Western Hemisphere, has been found in the Colombian Amazon. Up to 12,500 years old, with images of extinct animals. Literally tens of thousands of images in red ochre:

Rhode Island

https://repeatingislands.com/2020/10...-the-americas/

Not as recent a discovery as I at first thought:

Prehistoric paintings on vertical rocks in a Colombia Amazonian wilderness photographed for western eyes, work of still uncontacted Karijona People

Last edited by CMD; 11-29-2020, 10:22 AM.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      You know, I think I read about these pictographs a coupla years ago, and I searched and searched for a very long time to no avail for where I’d read it. I finally decided I’d just made it up. I’m so glad I didn’t. Thank you, thank you! Wouldn't you just love to see them in person!

Cool what's hiding under all of that jungle canopy ? I wish there was more photos of the rock art .

Comment

thanks for sharing
      Wyoming

Comment

It’s very interesting to notice on last wall. No one small section touches another,, and in fact seems to read like a journal from top to bottom, left to right, or right to left, with coded messages on television....Good post, colors stayed vivid...were they painting up that high so the gods could see it,?
        Last edited by Hal Gorges; 11-29-2020, 11:42 AM.
        Floridaboy.

Comment

I think I remember when this was found. It's frustrating that there isn't more pics anywhere on the internet showing this site, at least that I could find. Seems so fresh, even with the mineralization, I wonder if that's the only way to determine if it isn't a modern fake. Not saying it is, just wondering how they date it.
        Central Ohio

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Whatever was in the Nevada rock etchings was carbon-dated (?), according to first article cited above, so it seems wherever organic stuff mixed with the red ochre to make paint could be, too. But I admit, I think I do not understand carbon-dating!

Kinda old but comprehensible article:
          Sydney A ROW that threatens the reputation of a leading expert in dating prehistoric artwork has thrown studies on rock art into confusion. The dispute emerged at the Australian Archaeometry Conference in Sydney last month, when Warren Beck and Timothy Jull of the University of Arizona in Tucson questioned the work of Ronald Dorn of …
          Last edited by Cecilia; 12-03-2020, 12:05 AM.

Thanks for the links Charlie. The red ochre looks as vibrant as the day it was painted. I would like to see an analysis of what was mixed with the rock powder.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Pretty amazing what we keep finding. Like Hal, some of that almost looks like hieroglyphs or at least it may be telling a story.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I did not realize, but you have to just click on “watch on YouTube”, and you’ll be able to watch the video that way. I suspect shamans from the “uncontacted” tribes in that area are still adding to these panels....

Last edited by CMD; 11-30-2020, 10:08 AM.
            Rhode Island

Comment

Thank you Charlie you are a gift to this site .

Comment

Updating because more photos are available now. I have seen one of the mastodon paintings, although I don’t see it in this group. I do see a giant ground sloth in this series of photos.

A Colombian-English team of archaeologists recently came upon a huge cache of rock art in the Amazon that shows humans and mastodons.
                Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                X