Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now, what’s a good book? A nonfiction book on the Paleo times.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now, what’s a good book? A nonfiction book on the Paleo times.

I’m a nonfiction type of reader although I’m LOVING Jean Auels Clan of the cave bear series. I’m on the 4th book

But I’m interested in what it was like 12,000/15,000 years ago. Who they were, what they looked like, what type of shelters they lived in, ect.

Also I know there is disagreements on how they got here and the time frame they were here.

So help me out if u can. Thank u

I was gonna suggest Aules books...other than that, looks like they had the same human nature as us...probably had Clovid somewhere along the way.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

[QUOTE=Colorado EB;n517068]
      I’m a nonfiction type of reader although I’m LOVING Jean Auels Clan of the cave bear series. I’m on the 4th book

But I’m interested in what it was like 12,000/15,000 years ago. Who they were, what they looked like, what type of shelters they lived in, ect.

Also I know there is disagreements on how they got here and the time frame they were here.

So help me out if u can.

I think a good source is from the Indians themselves . (Find a few books on Indian Folklore) Many of their folklore and creation beginnings have a similarity to that of the Bible . Just for example there’s over 200 tribes that have a flood story like that of Noah among many other interesting Biblical comparisons. The Choctaw believe that they were some of the original peoples and have a Tower of Babel comparison

."Many generations ago Aba, the good spirit above, created many men, all Choctaw, who spoke the language of the Choctaw, and understood one another. These came from the bosom of the earth, being formed of yellow clay, and no men had ever lived before them. One day all came together and, looking upward, wondered what the clouds and the blue expanse above might be. They continued to wonder and talk among themselves and at last determined to endeavor to reach the sky. So they brought many rocks and began building a mound that was to have touched the heavens. That night, however, the wind blew strong from above and the rocks fell from the mound. . . . The men were not killed, but when daylight came and they made their way from beneath the rocks and began to speak to one another, all were astounded as well as alarmed—they spoke various languages and could not understand one another. Some continued thenceforward to speak the original tongue, the language of the Choctaw, and from these sprung the Choctaw tribe. The others, who could not understand this language, began to fight among themselves. Finally they separated. The Choctaw remained the original people; the others scattered, some going north, some east, and others west, and formed various tribes. This explains why there are so many tribes throughout the country at the present time."

So with the Choctaw account and with a biblical interpretation added with the longevity of those that survived the flood living multi hundred years 300-400-500 years, the first Indians/Choctaw would have arrived around 4000 years ago after the Tower of Babel and “ confounding of the languages “ Genesis 11: . The early Indians could have easily spread all the way to South America and lived 2-300 years .

Comment

• Colorado EB
        Colorado EB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for your post.

You said the first indians were 4,000 years ago. What about the points I’ve found that people tell me are 10,000-13,000 years old?

I don’t know the Bible as well as l’d like to but once when I was dropping my son off at a kids event at the church I got talking to a man about an old point I had just found. When I said I think it’s around 10,000 years old the conversation ended abruptly with him telling me that time frame was not possible with his beliefs.

I’m not after an argument but I’m curious if u believe the same and if so could u explain. Thanks

N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you know why they have an index to Mammoth Trumpet archives but no issues at all in the archive? Used to be able to read lots of articles from back issues. Now, one cannot read any at all.

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Found an archive using Google: https://liberalarts.tamu.edu/csfa/pu...mpet-archives/

Yes, as big historical-fiction fan loved Auels’ first Clan books (until later sequels’ plot became less about early cultures and evolution of knowledge, and more about soap-opera voyeurism.....ya know what I mean😜....). I also really loved Gary Jennings’ Aztec and its sequel Aztec Autumn . But, as true history supports, both were often factually, graphically brutal (but, at least as reader, didn't feel like “why am I here? ....uh....wait...how they doin’ that !?)

Great books of my childhood were mostly written by Edgar Rice Burroughs and Jules Verne, both of whom wrote at least one speculative adventure set way way way back in time... And, co-inkily-dinky, I pulled off shelves beat-up copies of Island of the Blue Dolphins and Medicine Woman yesterday.....
      Last edited by Cecilia; 12-18-2020, 02:25 PM.
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
      X