Possible Mound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Mound?

This odd and out of place mound of earth is located in Perry co. Ohio between the towns of New Lexington and Junction City on st rt 37 I use to drive by it once a week when I was working and I often wondered if it could be an Indian mound any thoughts? It’s almost 800ft in diameter and 15ft high

It’s something, if not a mound maybe a campsite ?
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Start researching the local area history. Pioneer records may mention it.
      Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

I’ve been researching map archives most of the afternoon from the 1800s nothing yet ,there is a Native American earthen structure in nearby Glenford Ohio

Comment

Looks to be right in a flood plain... all mounds in my area are found on the ridge tops well above the flood plain... if this is on a higher shelf it’s a possibility.
          Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Here is a screen shot of where Ohio is from an antique map I have. The map is from 1794 and has some pretty cool notations from that time period. May not help with what your looking for, but thought I would share. Hope to digitize the whole map one day.

Comment

• B.Rubble
              B.Rubble commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you

If it were a mound /man made then wouldn’t there be an adjacent hole 🕳 for something that large. Looks to be some small drainages /creeks. If that’s a sandy hill surrounded by gumbo then it’s definitely been used as a campsite 🏕

Comment

A mound that big may have had ditch and bank earthworks associated with it. Many large mound complexes had ditches to define the sacred area. Earth dug from the ditches was used to build up the mound so they fulfilled a dual purpose. Time and erosion has altered many ancient monuments to the point of being nearly unrecognizable. Stay on the search and please post what you turn up.

Comment

• B.Rubble
                B.Rubble commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I will, I was able to get property owners name today using county auditors website now I am trying to get address or phone number to see if they have any information on it

That square parchmark near the center of the mound that your line crosses through looks interesting.

Comment

• B.Rubble
                B.Rubble commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes it is it’s about 40ft by 40ft

This site may be of some interest in your search. Scrolling down to page 138 is Perry County.

Comment

• B.Rubble
                B.Rubble commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow thank you I no idea that someone took the time to put something like this together very detailed.

• Cecilia
                Cecilia commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, thank you Uncle! I can’t believe I didn’t know about ScienceViews! I’ll be goin’ down new rabbit hole for coupla hours....

It’s awesome I have found out a lot about the county I live in mounds, burial sites and camp sites that are just a few miles from my house that nobody knows about!

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

• B.Rubble
                  B.Rubble commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No not yet still working on getting contact information

I just sent a letter out to the property owners I was able to get the address today I will let you know when I hear back from them

Comment

Well I just heard back from the property owner today a very nice older woman and she said many people have inquired about the mound in fact she calls it the mound field the property has been in her family for many generations and the story she has gotten is that it is a glacial deposit,also artifacts have been found on and around it

Comment

Awesome. Keep digging deep with the research. It will pay dividends in many ways.

Comment

Working...
                    X