Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A current take on Bannerstones

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/2...Eb-6ptKuyA9qF4
    This is from 2017, I wonder how her research turned out?

Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

To answer my own question here it is: This is a pretty awesome sight
    CMD has a permanent link to this in the information center.

The Archaic Bannerstone Project is a resource for the study of the aesthetically complex, anomalous ancient Native American lithics known as bannerstones. Finely composed, carved, and polished works are usually associated with luxury items for a ruling elite. Bannerstones, however, were made within distinctly egalitarian societies raising questions about who made them, who were they made for, and for what purposes were they made.

Last edited by gregszybala; 03-03-2021, 06:13 AM.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Cmcramer
      Cmcramer commented
      Editing a comment
      Best photos of bannerstones on the web, I'd say.

It’s an interesting topic to discuss. They made mention that the bannerstone disappeared from the archeological record, but the atlatl kept going for another 2000 years. They still may have been used as atlatl weights, but after finally figuring out that they didn’t help the dart throwing process, they quit making them.
    Thats human nature to try to improve things. It doesn’t always work. Look how many gadgets we have tried and thrown away. I think about the deer repellent whistles put on cars for awhile. You don’t see them anymore, but the cars are still going.
    South Dakota

Comment

• SGT.Digger
      SGT.Digger commented
      Editing a comment
      Kinda like electronics they keep getting replaced by better and newer ones.

• Flint Eastwood
      Flint Eastwood commented
      Editing a comment
      SDhunter,
      Good points.
      I had to grin when you alluded to the deer whistle. I put one on my buddy hunting pack as a joke. Don’t think he ever moved fast enough to test it!
      Flint

I’ve visited both sites in the past. Required reading for anyone wanting a better understanding of bannerstones involving typology and the different theories of uses. Definitely an enigma in the same category as birdstones in my view. A good topic to ponder.
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Working...
    X