Dispersal in the Americas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispersal in the Americas

This seems like a “hit it out of the park” summary of current thinking, with a focus on genetic research. Pretty much weaves in all recent studies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1AD6225B-585D-4BAA-BD47-B457F8FF1429.png
Views:	221
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	549673
    Rhode Island

Interesting. I guess they are still sticking to old ways/lines of thinking that folks were too dumb to have boats 🚣‍♂️ . That Ice free corridor is a big stretch for me and the time frame would be way off because of the warmer ocean temps and land crossing or migrations of people would be more probable. Humans have also used dog for time and eternity and I could foresee winter travel over ice ect if need be

Comment

• Cmcramer
      Cmcramer commented
      Editing a comment
      "The most likely alternative route is via boat along the western coast, which would have become accessible about 17,000 to 16,000 years ago. A coastal route also fits genetic evidence for the Southern Native American expansion better. The best-supported models for population history currently show that the Southern Native American group diversified rapidly into regional populations throughout North, South and Central America between about 17,000 and 13,000 years ago. Travel by water along the coast would better explain the speed and timing of these population splits than the slower overland route would"

Cool article, I am going to have to digest it more when I get some time.

I am a fan of multiple waves, and some groups barely hung on while others thrived. But there has to have been one or two very early first waves because you have clusters of early sites at the 14K to 15K years ago, and then the 20K to 25K years ago. Clovis originated somewhere in the Americas and spread as a technological advancement over existing populations. Something about the tech was compelling enough that some people stopped what they were making and started making thinner, flatter fluted points. And that change probably happened within a couple hundred year window. Most of Canada, every state in the US except Hawaii, Mexico, Central America and northern South America. Fluted points from Southern South America are more like the Simpson points in Florida, but they are still about the same age as Clovis and fluted. That is a huge geographic area for a new, likely small population to cover in such a short window.

Sure some sites are wonky or unreliable, but Taima-Taima, Monteverde, Page Ladson and a host of others are remarkably consistent at that 14,500 mark with clear tools. (And spread far enough apart that it's unlikely that they were absolutely the first stopping points for these new people.) The same is true for the really early 20K-25K sites, enough of them with similar characteristics that they become harder to just disregard and ignore.

I think people came along the coast, over the ice, and over the land bridge. Elk, Moose, Mammoths, polar bears, brown bears, musk ox, caribou/reindeer, and a ton of small mammals all populate the northern polar region across three continents. They didn't magically cross once and stay isolated like many species did, they mingled back and forth with some degree of frequency. A couple of years ago an artic fox collared in Norway made it's way to Canada in 76 days, and it took a long way across the ice. Get some reindeer to make the same trek and I'd guarantee a group of hunters would try to follow them if they could follow the scat trail or tracks.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

What if people groups didn’t originate from Africa as theorized , then would be be perfectly fine as having groups already in the America’s. The amounts of time that are applied to the first folks supposedly coming by land bridge or sea is really quite a long time frame . There should/ would have been wayyyyy more people here when the first modern day European folks came here if were really talking about tens of thousands of years when first NAs came . Just a moderate birth rate over a couple thousand year timeframe would be 100’s of millions . Let’s take Americans with a few boat loads for example. I had a relative come over on the mayflower and there’s tens of thousands of folks with the same bloodline here because of one family in a relatively short timeframe.

Comment

Working...
      X