DNA Evidence Supports Three Land-Bridge Migrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA Evidence Supports Three Land-Bridge Migrations

New DNA study supports 3 seperate migrations from Asia....

Rhode Island

Thanks, Charlie
    I'm still convinced that genetics will ultimately provide the answers.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Agreed.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I found it interesting that some Siberian groups carry "First American" DNA, establishing migrants back to Asia. I also wonder if 15,000 years ago is the earliest the genetic evidence allows and if studies like this invalidate very early dates from some South American sites??
        Rhode Island

Comment

Only ancient DNA would provide some reliable data. The examination and use of modern DNA to recreate what happened anciently is a waste of time.

Comment

I'm not sure I follow that logic Bill, not that I know a whole lot about the subject though.
            Southern Connecticut

Comment

painshill wrote:

Thanks, Charlie
              I'm still convinced that genetics will ultimately provide the answers.
                I agree, I think that's where the answers lie.
              Rhode Island

Comment

Using modern DNA to predict the past can be very complicated, misleading and just plain wrong. It all depends on how early or recent the events and people happened that you want to use modern DNA to talk about.
                Modern DNA could be used to predict past events that only happened around 10,000 years ago and would probably be reasonably accurate.
                However if you want to use modern DNA to make predictions about past events that happened 30,000 years ago or earlier then it would fail most of the time to be an accurate predictor.
                This is because over a really long time span it is extremely likely that a lot of original DNA was lost from groups as fresh DNA was added to the groups as periodically.
                What this means is that one group may have joined another group and there would have a reshuffling of DNAs. If an early group was involved in constant warfare and was overrun by a larger one this would have been the case.
                If they were all killed their DNA would simply disappear from the genetic record altogether. The same thing would happen if the winning group allowed some of the defeated survivors to join their group.
                Over 20,000 years or so, the DNA of the adopted ones would also disappear from the larger group.
                The DNA of smaller or even larger groups who may have begun a culture or at least played a major role in shaping events would be lost or replaced altogether.
                This is why I believe the only DNA that may be used to accurately predict the distant past is the DNA from that distant past.

Comment

Working...
                X