Spiro Mound link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiro Mound link

Interesting article of looting and the spirit to recover the Artifacts. https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/2...t-civilisation Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Spiro in Le Flore County Oklahoma
    My three strands of Spiro Whelk Beads (Wampum) are from the collection of George H. Shirk, former Mayor of Oklahoma City and a former president of the Oklahoma Historical Society. These came out of his estate sale. The beads were mined at the Spiro Mounds in the 1930s by the Pocola Mining Company. The Spiro Mounds in Le Flore County Oklahoma were of the Mississippian Period (850 A.D. to about 1300 A.D.) These strands are made up of disc, barrel, elliptical, cylindrical, and spherical beads. The first strand is 28 inches long and has 138 beads. The second strand also 28 inches long has 204 beads. The third strand is 60 inches long and has 505 beads.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3A.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	564826

Name:	1B.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	564825

Name:	2B.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	564823

Name:	3B.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	564824
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow what a treasure Ron! I have a strand from Conestoga Indian Town. They are one of my treasures.

• Narrow Way Knapper
      Narrow Way Knapper commented
      Editing a comment
      They look a lot like my friend's pre Incan bead necklace that he bought at a market in Lima. Very cool!

Thanks for the link Kim. It’s mind blowing to think of how much of America’s ancient past has been lost. The mound building cultures have been of interest to me since I was a kid. It’s also mind blowing to think of what knowledge is still to be gained as archaeological evidence continues to be found.
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      So true Trav.
Working...
X