Yet another Cakokia post!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Cakokia post!

Couldn’t stand it anymore so the wife and I headed out for Cahokia this weekend. Here’s a little low down on the trip. We made a whole day of the site yesterday. We stay at a hotel about fifteen minutes away in Fairview Heights. Plenty of restaurants in that area so it made a good base camp for a couple of nights. The interpretive center is open 9 to 5 Thursday through Sunday so plan accordingly. Admission is free but a donation is appreciated. Folks this is a world class museum and interpretive center and it will not disappoint. Amazing displays of recovered artifacts as well as insights into the everyday lives of the people who lived in Cahokia. An informative film is shown on the hour in the auditorium and is worth a view. Free guided tour are available that cover most of the Grand Plaza but not include Monk’s Mound. A free tail map is available if you choose to walk the site. Smart phone tours are available to purchase for $3 or a pamphlets are available for $1 explaining features of the site. If you choose to walk the site at any length BRING LOTS OF WATER. We did the five mile trail and the heat index was 107 degrees so we brought along plenty of water. We saved the climb to the top of Monk’s Mound for last. Pictures along can’t do the mound justice. You can’t wrap your head around it until you have climbed it. There ya have it! If you’ve ever had an urge to go to Cahokia just go. An amazing visit whether for a short time or a day it’s worth every minute. I can’t recommend it enough and thanks for letting me ramble on.
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Great pics.. I haven’t made it there yet, maybe next year.
    I am planning a trip to effigy mounds soon…👍
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• Uncle Trav
      Uncle Trav commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks North. You should definitely make the trip

That’s awesome. Sounds like a good fall trip. Thanks for pics!
    South Carolina

Comment

• Uncle Trav
      Uncle Trav commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jo👍

The two photos of the axes are actually two separate caches. One of the axes weighed in at 24 pounds!!

Comment

Good post trav.....id like to make the venture out there one day....its probably a few hrs car drive to there from my location
      Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• Uncle Trav
        Uncle Trav commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear ya! 7 hour drive for me from Kalamazoo Michigan. I gotta squeeze every minute I can outta summer before Old Man Winter gets a grip on me😁

• Benji
        Benji commented
        Editing a comment
        I just checked, its abt a 4 hr drive from me.....not too bad

• Uncle Trav
        Uncle Trav commented
        Editing a comment
        Well there ya go!! Have at it!👍

A couple other things to note. The website says there is a snack bar. It is permanently closed. If you plan on spending the day you may want to pack a cooler with some snacks or a lunch along with plenty of water. Only a couple of drink vending machines remain. The gift shop also has a nice selection of books and gifts.
      Last edited by Uncle Trav; 07-26-2021, 07:41 AM.

Comment

It is an amazing place few of us even know about. Worth the trip and time spent.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Uncle Trav
          Uncle Trav commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes sir! Your advice helped get me moving on the decision to go sooner than later.

I’m thinking of putting Angel Mounds as the next target on the hit list.

Comment

• gregszybala
          gregszybala commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too!

Nice pictures Trav, thanks for sharing them. 👍
        🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

I saw that big ax or Celt and was going to ask about it. So did it have a bit on the end? Most I found are around 6 inches long I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen one that large before. Thanks for the view
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• Uncle Trav
            Uncle Trav commented
            Editing a comment
            The big axe was unfinished when it was put into the cache. They had just started on the bit end. Cool to see a work it progress piece. Especially one that big!

Thanks for the informative travelog, looks like a really nice museum, in addition to the mounds.
          Coastal Plain of Maryland

Comment

Special place. I've been there several times. Never been to Angel Mounds, for some reason. Shame on me. It's only an hour away.
            Western Kentucky

Comment

Working...
            X