A period of confusion..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A period of confusion..

In many of the resources that i draw information from i have noticed that the start/stop year in reference to the changing of archaeological time periods are different depending on geographical location, this concept i believe i can begin to understand, what i do not seem to be grasping in particular is why the historical period is said to begin and end during the BP era, ? i was under the impression that this period lasted far beyond European contact here in north america somewhere in the 15th to the 17th century?...any clarification on this matter would be greatly appreciated..🙂
    JR, from jackson co, southern indiana

So this is what I use for Florida artifacts ...Prehistoric is before the first Spaniards landed..Historic is after, don’t know if that’s archeologicaly politically socially or otherwise correct but it’s simple ...Talk about confusing. bc,bce, ad, etc when trying to figure a date for pottery, Lol...P.S.The metric system drives me crazy too.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Talkingpoints
      Talkingpoints commented
      Editing a comment
      That is exactly how i see it as well, as far as the Spaniards landing here and so forth, yeah that whole ce, and bce etc. Business was all greek to me as well...what happened to good ol bc and ad?...lol...and for the life of me i simply cannot figure out why a book wrote, printed, and distributed in english here in the good ol u.s. of a. would use the metric system.... centimeters my foot!....🙂 Thank you Hal for your input...

Prehistoric is before Spanish/English/Dutch/French explorers arrived.

Proto-Historic is stuff made in a narrow window of time, the Natives may not have seen a European person but people they neighbor with might have had European trade goods. (Often this was a gun, and the group without the gun lost whatever the group wanted to take from them.)

Historic is modern stuff, but usually implies old or antique. My Dunkin' Donuts coffee cup isn't a historic artifact, it's garbage. In some areas that might be finds from 1899 or before. Some states have laws on this. Find a modern quarter on the ground in a national park you can pick it up without fear. Find and pick up a quarter from the 1800's and you are breaking a law.

BP- Before Present is often 1950 when radio carbon dating started (1949 I think, but 1950 makes the math easier.)
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Talkingpoints
      Talkingpoints commented
      Editing a comment
      So when they say BP it does not mean the same as BC?...basically before and after what would essentially be the year 00.?...this is a new concept to me.

• clovisoid
      clovisoid commented
      Editing a comment
      No, BP became a much more standard way of talking around the globe.  BC as a concept representing year 0 is fine but the connotation of Christ being the starting point isn't relevant for many cultures and places around the world.  (China, India, many parts of Europe, etc.) It represents a turning point for many places in Europe, splits many other cultures into a random divide.

So BP as Before Present was brought into use, and the starting point is 1950 for a common starting point based on when carbon dating was accepted. So something dated as 5000 BP will always be 5000 BP, vs next year being 5001 BP.

• Talkingpoints
      Talkingpoints commented
      Editing a comment
      Well ill be,...that is the first time ive ever heard that explained out like that...i guess i need to get out more often...lol...thank you very much clovisoid

There's some additional clarification in our Information Centre at this link:

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...periods-dating
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Talkingpoints
      Talkingpoints commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you painshill, very informative articles indeed...💪🙂

Click image for larger version

Name:	E8B98698-29A5-4A8A-8DB5-317147B0BB52.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	577598
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Talkingpoints
      Talkingpoints commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh man, thats too much...lol...my head is smoking, going to take a minute to process , i thank you for the input...🙂

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      I like knowing the BP date…
Working...
X