• Show
Clear All

• Michigan Clovis Encampment

https://news.umich.edu/farm-field-fi...y-in-michigan/

Rhode Island

Awesome
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Not to far down the road from here. I must have been reading this about the same time you were!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        ****oh yeah, thanks for sharing***

I got a little excited.

• clovisoid
        clovisoid commented
        Editing a comment
        Lots of factors but there are a couple of big contributors.

First, after the glaciers melted there were massive (think cubic miles) deposits of really fine glacier "flour", and over thousands of years it washed down stream towards the Great Lakes.

Second, post the Pleistocene most of these areas were densely covered in forests that were a factory for organic topsoil creation. 10,000 years of leaves rotting and composting resulted in 4-12 feet of soil in many areas that bury most of what we look for.

I don't know the area Mendon where this site is located, but many of the areas there also have minor Loess soil deposits as well. Loess is a wind blown sediment common in the Midwest. In some parts of Indiana, Iowa & Illinois it can be over 100 feet thick. In Northern Indiana and Southern Michigan it isn't that thick, but a fraction of an inch a century could still add a lot of depth to an old site.

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        It was in my Facebook feed, Greg. I thought “hey, look, for once they actually show the artifacts that were found”, lol….

Thanks for the link Charlie. That's a great site.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Michigan Belson Clovis Site 10.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	578932
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking of ya, Ron. Knew you’d find this discovery very exciting….

• clovisoid
        clovisoid commented
        Editing a comment
        Attica chert from Indiana/Illinois. The Bostrom Clovis site over by St Louis also has some Attica as well as a Knife River Flint tool. Neat how Clovis makers covered some distance.

Very cool indeed. I live about a half hour away from the site and know the area well. Thanks for the link.
      Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Fun to watch that and see the artifacts. Couldn’t believe they didn’t expose that whole artifact for us to see. I wouldn’t have brushed the soil away slowly. I would have snatched it right up. Lol
        South Dakota

Comment

• sailorjoe
          sailorjoe commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Gary. My thoughts also. The entertainment and news folks do that all the time. It's called a "teaser".

Hi Charlie. I just saw this thread. Thanks much for bringing this to our attention. I could say more but will let it rest at that. An amazing discovery for sure.

Comment

Cool charlie
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Sites like this one get me wondering how they were found. The habitation level appears to be below where a plow would reach. Maybe later artifacts closer to the surface lead to a closer and deeper look. That would suggest a long occupation of the site. The land around that site is flat and very fertile as the St Joseph River has wound it’s way over the landscape for eons making the area a magnet for hunters and gatherers. The area has had a long history of occupation by native peoples. Hopewell mounds can be found in the area and European contact with historic tribes began in 1680. New archaeological discoveries in my local area always get my curiosity running in overdrive.

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              I think anytime you find a buried site the size of a postage stamp, relatively speaking, you have beaten the odds!

The paper:

https://www.academia.edu/45053149/Pa...al_Great_Lakes

And a rather severe critique of the press release posted at the start of this thread:

A large chunk of the information that the public gets about archaeology comes via non-professional media.  Even as a professional, I often hear about new "discoveries" first through news articles...

I would add, that while he is likely spot on in his corrections, the video that led off that press release was a great example of how avocational archaeologists, amateur surface hunters, can make important contributions. And there was nothing sensationalist about the information in that 3 minute clip….
            Last edited by CMD; 09-06-2021, 09:31 AM.
            Rhode Island

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Andy White, who wrote the critique I posted, agreed with me that the video clip was a much better, and more accurate, presentation of the site.

Thanks for the links. The paper was extremely interesting in my view. I can see how those involved in related digs and research would be a bit put off by inaccurate articles involving a lot of hard work. Hopefully the posted video sparked enough interest in a few people to delve a little deeper into the topic.

Comment

Working...
            X