Ocmulgee Mounds National Monument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocmulgee Mounds National Monument

Some of you may enjoy this site. Great display.

Wonderful dispay of some fine artifacts. Thanks for sharing the link. I for one really enjoyed it.
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Ocmulgee is amazing, I have not even been there yet but I have spoken with the cultural director and some of the numbers are just wild. in the 20-30's it was dug up for over 10 years. Then NAFTA or something similar kicked in and prohibited the digging. Over the course of those 10 years of digging though 25 MILLION+ artifacts were unearthed. That was originally thought to be 19% of the total site, however new GPR (Ground Penetrating Radar) data suggests that only about 13% of the site was excavated.
      In my conversation with the Cultural Director I said "So Ocmulgee was a primary trading hub for at least 500 years it sounds like." He laughed at me.. ALOT longer than that. I am 100 miles downstream from Ocmulegee and not even 100 miles downstream from me is Letchworth. The Ocmulgee artifacts are very strange.. they are from everywhere but there is a TON of Weedin/Weeden/Weedun Island (it really is spelled all 3 ways) artifacts there. I think around 1200 CE the "Creeks" killed off the Southern Death Cult which.. it takes abit of research and talking to the right people to understand this.. the Southern Death Cult were sacrificial people and they were the priesthood at Ocmulgee.
      Ocmulgee WAS the trading epicenter of the Eastern US back in the day. Very few people even know it exists and tbh it should be in the top 100 wonders of the world.

Comment

Geonoob wrote:

Ocmulgee is amazing, I have not even been there yet but I have spoken with the cultural director and some of the numbers are just wild. in the 20-30's it was dug up for over 10 years. Then NAFTA or something similar kicked in and prohibited the digging. Over the course of those 10 years of digging though 25 MILLION+ artifacts were unearthed. That was originally thought to be 19% of the total site, however new GPR (Ground Penetrating Radar) data suggests that only about 13% of the site was excavated.
        In my conversation with the Cultural Director I said "So Ocmulgee was a primary trading hub for at least 500 years it sounds like." He laughed at me.. ALOT longer than that. I am 100 miles downstream from Ocmulegee and not even 100 miles downstream from me is Letchworth. The Ocmulgee artifacts are very strange.. they are from everywhere but there is a TON of Weedin/Weeden/Weedun Island (it really is spelled all 3 ways) artifacts there. I think around 1200 CE the "Creeks" killed off the Southern Death Cult which.. it takes abit of research and talking to the right people to understand this.. the Southern Death Cult were sacrificial people and they were the priesthood at Ocmulgee.
        Ocmulgee WAS the trading epicenter of the Eastern US back in the day. Very few people even know it exists and tbh it should be in the top 100 wonders of the world.
        Archies count reduction flakes as artifacts so it always sounds better..

Comment

They were digging into BIG mounds. They were not digging into a camping area or a place where tools were crafted. They were digging into sacred ground, parts of the main vein of the entire complex. Why would flakes or chips even be there?
          but yeah your right about archeologists.. they snatch up every chip in sight and analyze it to death. Thats they're job.. but I don't understand your logic that the pay-dirt spots they were digging would have yielded a bunch of flakes.

Comment

Working...
          X