• Show
Clear All

• Oldest cave art in US

https://www.wkrn.com/special-reports...3Wdk9_UxxvLfLc
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

No offense but them Tennessee boys couldn’t paint a billboard Worth a hoot😉

Looks like a tic tac toe situation in #1

Gotta love early billboard art🤗

Last edited by Hal Gorges; 02-06-2022, 08:30 AM.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Artist competitive juices still flowing in you Hal? 😁 You could have taught them a thing or two, but you would have needed a torch this time.

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      A definite handicap 😊

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, learning curves usually start low! See below. Maybe artist young, young caveperson and this first foray finger painting….
      Last edited by Cecilia; 02-06-2022, 02:49 PM.

Hi Greg. Many thanks for bringing this story to our attention. I am particularly appreciative because I went to college and grad school in the eastern Highland Rim area of Middle Tennessee at a school where many caves exist nearby. The Highland Rim geographical area is one of those prime areas where because of the Karst geology/topography in the region is what enables these limestone caves to develop. As a student I "explored" many of the caves in the area. I never saw any prehistoric art or was some of it just grafitti. But there again I wasn't looking for it. For we students it was all about the adventure. One of the caves has or had some historic objects dating back to Civil War days. (or as some of we Rebs call it "The War of Northern Agression" lol). These historic objects were/are the scaffolding and ladders and grafitti made by men who were mining salt peter for making gun powder. The cave is one that is located at an unusually high elevation and is a dry cave. And by dry I mean one that has practically no stalagtites or stalagmites and no water in the cave. These mining works were located at a fairly great distance from the entrance and because it was dry the wooden structures seemed about as strong as they were back then. But I never did get on them to test them out. We just walked on by to go farther back.

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      You know, I bet Pain knows exactly where I saw J. R. Tolkien’s carving…..pretty sure somewhere Oxford
      Last edited by Cecilia; 02-07-2022, 11:47 AM.

• sailorjoe
      sailorjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Cecillia. Yes, grafitti has been left by the famous as well as regular folks. One of the most famous in American history is one left by Daniel Boone in Kentucky during the period when he was a long hunter from North Carolina. Years after his death a carving in some tree in Kentucky was found that said something to the effect of "D. Boone killed a bar(sic). Oh and by the way that was Kilroy not Elroy. It was painted on the inside of a fuselage of an airplane by a man who worked at an aircraft factory in the states during WWII where the plane was built. The airmen who saw it started painting it on places where it could be seen and the custom spread throughout the Army and was painted all over England and Europe.

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Of course! Thank you! I remember now. And maybe not forget, now I know story behind KILROY!

These minimally great doodles, if not A+ artwork. Looky colors 1st pic, thingy on left (animal?), wavy line (mountains, hills?), man far right. There’s a story there guys, at least in head of creator…. And look rendition 2nd pic, clearly horse(?)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	60796802-D34A-4404-9111-05374668C166.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	80.5 KB ID:	613541 Click image for larger version

Name:	494BBD3D-42E4-4310-ABDB-DF4F162244FF.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	613543
    3rd pic horse doodle by Hal. Looky learning curve evolving Humanity!!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	0EF341BC-5C48-41FF-9620-A9934F92D6ED.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	73.0 KB ID:	613542
    Last edited by Cecilia; 02-06-2022, 02:55 PM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s hilarious…I set myself up for that one 😔

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Was thinking hills/mountains and animal in the first pic as well. Lots to look at and ponder.

I always love seeing these artworks. Thanks Greg
    South Dakota

Comment

Working...
    X