Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock Art Theft!!

Not bad enough that some clowns target practice at rock art sites :angry:
    Rock carvings that graced a sacred site for the Paiute Indian tribe in California's Sierra Nevada for thousands of years have fallen prey to modern thieves armed with power saws.

Rhode Island

Very sad story and I hope they catch whoever is responsible! :angry:  I would imagine that sooner or later someone will see these stolen items and make a phone call......kinda reminds me of your Nordic Rune Charlie, it's not like these things aren't easily identifiable!
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

cgode wrote:

Very sad story and I hope they catch whoever is responsible! :angry:  I would imagine that sooner or later someone will see these stolen items and make a phone call......kinda reminds me of your Nordic Rune Charlie, it's not like these things aren't easily identifiable!
        I really can't fathom anyone wanting to see such things anywhere other then their natural setting.
      Rhode Island

Comment

This is something I kind of take personal. I have visited many good sites like this in the Southwest and every time I get a feeling I cannot describe. To see this kind of vandalism really kind of sickens me. It also does irepairable harm to the honest collector's reputation.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

rmartin wrote:

This is something I kind of take personal. I have visited many good sites like this in the Southwest and every time I get a feeling I cannot describe. To see this kind of vandalism really kind of sickens me. It also does irepairable harm to the honest collector's reputation.
            I share your feelings, Ray. On my first trip to the SW, back in the mid 80's, I took a few hundred photos of petroglyphs in Az. Back home in RI, I recorded some in photo for the first time. Rock art is a very unique "remains" from the past. I believe a site I helped record on Narragansett Bay was used by shamans.
          Beautiful setting too. How can that not be special? Great damage from storms has erased many of the most interesting images, but others lie safely under the sands of the beach. Can't see them, but I know they're
          protected while buried. This was a terrible act of greed and disrespect.
          Rhode Island

Comment

rmartin wrote:

Yup, Gives us all a bad name. We have the Sanilac county Petroglyphs and they are defaced. All fenced in now.

Comment

Working...
            X