More on the Hartley Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on the Hartley Site

The “more” being a flood of popular articles, as the paper has been published. Link below. This is exciting stuff if it holds up. What strikes me as especially engaging is the support lent to the possibility that there were two founding populations to the Americas, with a far earlier pre-Clovis peopling involving people related to Australasians.

AUSTIN, Texas — About 37,000 years ago, a mother mammoth and her calf met their end at the hands of human beings.

Bones from the butchering site record how humans shaped pieces of their long bones into disposable blades to break down their carcasses, and rendered their fat over a fire. But a key detail sets this site apart from others from this era. It’s in New Mexico – a place where most archaeological evidence does not place humans until tens of thousands of years later.

A recent study led by scientists with The University of Texas at Austin finds that the site offers some of the most conclusive evidence for humans settling in North America much earlier than conventionally thought.

AUSTIN, Texas — About 37,000 years ago, a mother mammoth and her calf met their end at the hands of human beings. Bones from the butchering site record

Calibrating human population dispersals across Earth’s surface is fundamental to assessing rates and timing of anthropogenic impacts and distinguishing ecological phenomena influenced by humans from those that were not. Here, we describe the Hartley mammoth locality, which dates to 38,900–36,250 cal BP by AMS 14C analysis of hydroxyproline from bone collagen. We accept the standard view that elaborate stone technology of the Eurasian Upper Paleolithic was introduced into the Americas by arrival of the Native American clade ∼16,000 cal BP. It follows that if older cultural sites exist in the Americas, they might only be diagnosed using nuanced taphonomic approaches. We employed computed tomography (CT and μCT) and other state-of-the-art methods that had not previously been applied to investigating ancient American sites. This revealed multiple lines of taphonomic evidence suggesting that two mammoths were butchered using expedient lithic and bone technology, along with evidence diagnostic of controlled (domestic) fire. That this may be an ancient cultural site is corroborated by independent genetic evidence of two founding populations for humans in the Americas, which has already raised the possibility of a dispersal into the Americas by people of East Asian ancestry that preceded the Native American clade by millennia. The Hartley mammoth locality thus provides a new deep point of chronologic reference for occupation of the Americas and the attainment by humans of a near-g...
    Rhode Island

Wow, CMD. I have not been following this, and I got those shivers I get when I read article appearing Frontier. Of course, all of us who depend upon our intuition as guidance knew this all along, but those of us academic enuf to hold it in abeyance now wagging tails lil bit more!

As time goes on, there will more and more empirical evidence of the “Old People”, and this particular piece not only speaks to just how innovative they were, but how clever we are now in retrieving it! Go Humans!

O, p.s., thank you CMD, for reminder count more upon you to provide food for that part of hungry mind….
    Last edited by Cecilia; 08-05-2022, 08:20 AM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Hi Charlie. Thanks much for bringing this fascinating study to our attention. It is an amazing series of coincidences that the site was discovered at all and how the lead author got involved in the first place.

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree, and quite the upheaval in the great mystery involving understanding the peopling of the Americas.
    Working...
    X