Another canoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another canoe

A second ancient canoe is found in Wisconsin — this time tracing back to 1000 B.C.
    https://www.npr.org/2022/09/24/11248...ound-wisconsin

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	219
Size:	966.8 KB
ID:	656361
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Nice discovery
    South Carolina

Comment

Talk about shiver bumps!
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Hi Greg. Thanks for bringing this article to our attention.

Comment

Put that in a case! Thanks for sharing. A tremendous find!
          New Jersey

Comment

I bet there a lots of those preserved in the lakes out there, in parts of Florida there are hundreds of them still stuck in the muck simply because preserving them is such a challenge.

If any one is interested, I remember this old video from a guy from Indiana who recreates 18th century stuff. He built a dugout canoe much like these, and in his research found lots of evidence they were stored underwater in the winter to keep them from splitting when the wood froze.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I live in SE Wisconsin and am quite convinced there's plenty more to come.

Natives LIVED on the lakes around here, islands on the lakes, and had to have made / disposed / lost thousands or hundreds of thousands of canoes. I'm sure a lot weren't preserved, but enough to find more than 2-3 should be out there.

Now that they know where / what they're looking for, I'm sure you could go to any of the lakes indians lived on (literally all of them) and have a good chance of diving and finding remains or a partial / full canoe.

I cannot find the story anywhere right now, but I've read and was told by many people that when they excavated for the Muskego Dam they excavated a dugout canoe from the pete / marsh soil. We really don't go looking underwater much because it takes scuba gear and money / a boat / etc. If more people get into searching underwater, these things will probably pop up like great lakes shipwrecks.

Here's to hoping at least.

EDIT - Found an article about the muskego dam dugout.
              Last edited by Pishtaka; 09-25-2022, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Bet the hurricane brings some up this next month .

Comment

I know a guy that found one has patchwork and all about 15' long
                  New Jersey

Comment

Working...
                  X