X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evidence of Viking Outpost Found in Canada

Exciting if true......

But there's also this;
    Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. Ottawa Citizen offers information on latest national and international events & more.

Rhode Island

Very interesting Charlie. Thanks for sharing.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Good read! With the renewed interests in the vikings, maybe they'll scratch up more evidence of the
      Solutrean connection as well - good sites were used for a looooong time.
      If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• rakovsky
        rakovsky commented
        Editing a comment
        One interesting possibility reminiscient of the Solutrean theory is the possible relationship between the megaliths of New England and the megaliths of the British Isles and France across the Atlantic from each other. Whereas England has the famous Stonehenge, Stonehenge USA is a site near Salem, N.H. However, unlike in the British Isles megalithic sites, we don't find European-type Bronze Age style artifacts that would prove a connection between the two regions (New England megaliths and West European ones). So it seems more likely that these megaliths got built independently of each other, but it isn't clear.

Just read the Nat. Geo. article yesterday. The cords/Viking Yarn are pretty undeniable evidence. Doesn't predate Columbus by much but I always knew those Vikings were here first! Kinda
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• rakovsky
        rakovsky commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that the Viking yarn predates Columbus enough for it to be significant. The VIkings were at Helluland (Baffin Island?) starting around 1000 AD, whereas Columbus got to the Americas in 1492, within a decade of the modern era.

I was surfing the forum and found this topic. Since we're talking Vikings and this was such an interesting article I thought I would share a little of my home state's history on Vikings as well. I hope you like it. I am not that far away from this place and it has been a topic of discussion for years.

Enjoy!!

Comment

But the consensus among experts is that the stone is a fake, along with the Kensington stone and so many others. The evidence for Viking presence in Oklahoma is equally spurious. Wiki pretty much has it right:

I outlined here some of the (non-archaeological) reasons why so many of these hoax items turn up in areas where there were high concentrations of recent Scandinavian immigrants:

As I said, it’s a shame because the fakes and hoaxes detract from the possibility of genuine examples… of which there are perhaps four that hold any realistic prospect of authenticity – none of them in Oklahoma.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• rakovsky
          rakovsky commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for sharing. Purported discoveries of Viking artifacts seem much more reasonable in the NY State area and Lake Ontario than at points in the US farther west, considering the Vikings in the Sagas proceeded from Greenland and Iceland to places like Newfoundland. The only NY State artifact case was one by Lake Ontario "found" in 1929. It was a well rusted iron spear point. I don't have much opinion on it, but no other artifacts were found by it, so it's less reliable for me as a result.

riverbottomkid wrote:

I was surfing the forum and found this topic. Since we're talking Vikings and this was such an interesting article I thought I would share a little of my home state's history on Vikings as well. I hope you like it. I am not that far away from this place and it has been a topic of discussion for years.

Enjoy!!
          Here's an old photo of epigrapher Gloria Farley at the Heavener Runestone. Riverbottomkid, if you read the "anchor thread" painshill posted a link to, I posted there some details on a "runestone" in Narragansett Bay, RI.

Rhode Island

Comment

• rakovsky
          rakovsky commented
          Editing a comment
          A runestone in a place like RI seems more feasible than an authentic one being in Oklahoma or Minnesota.

I thought I had heard in high school that Vikings did visit here first but they didn't stay to long. I believe they landed on Newfoundland Canada and made a small outpost there. Anyone else here anything about this ?

Comment

• rakovsky
          rakovsky commented
          Editing a comment
          The Vikings stayed at L'anse aux Meadows and archaeologists found the site there, guessing that it lasted 10 years. The Sagas give a total of 5 settlements/camps south of Labrador, particularly:
          -Kjalarnes (Keel Point, likely on the Atlantic coast)
          -Straumsfjord (Current Ford)
          -Hop (Tidal Pool Estuary)
          - A cape between Straumsfjord and Hop
          - Leifsbudir (Leif's camp on a salmon lake, apparently in the St. Lawrence Gulf's basin)

JR wrote:

I thought I had heard in high school that Vikings did visit here first but they didn't stay to long. I believe they landed on Newfoundland Canada and made a small outpost there. Anyone else here anything about this ?
          Yes, a Viking presence is pretty well established for the site at L'Anse Aux Meadows in Newfoundland -and- Labrador, Canada which seems to tie in with ancient Viking sagas of voyages to "Vin-Land". Also possible evidence from Baffin Island and Northern Labrador. There’s a good summary in Wiki here:

But, apart from isolated pieces of evidence which are not universally accepted, no firm evidence for Viking presence beyond that, or which extends into what is now North America itself. Viking presence as far south as Maine remains a possibility (but only a possibility). Viking presence in places such as Minnesota or Oklahoma is disputed by most archaeologists and the supposed evidence is either proven to be faked/hoaxed or hotly disputed.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• rakovsky
          rakovsky commented
          Editing a comment
          Besides the Viking site in L'anse aux Meadows, we have as evidence of Viking settlements/camps the 5 settlements/camps south of Labrador's Peninsula listed in the two Sagas that focus on Vinland, ie. the camps at Leifsbudir, Kjalarnes, Straumsfjord, Hop, and a cape between the latter two areas. The Sagas specify that these 5 spots were south of Markland, likely the Labrador Peninsula.

I just want to make it clear. I did not say I believed it nor did I say I didn't. Growing up here you hear lots of lore mostly on native american's and bandits. I found a topic and read the post, found it interesting, and shared a "topic of conversation" I heard round the domino table so many times by my 90 year old grandfather and his windy friends. I enjoy the stories and round table discussions the same as the next but don't make me feel stupid because I post something you don't agree with or like. If I took it wrong I apologize ahead of time.

Comment

• rakovsky
          rakovsky commented
          Editing a comment
          It's OK. For the Midwest, the Mississippian Culture, with spots like Cahokia, seem the most advanced spot for the Ancient to Medieval period.

riverbottomkid wrote:

I just want to make it clear. I did not say I believed it nor did I say I didn't. Growing up here you hear lots of lore mostly on native american's and bandits. I found a topic and read the post, found it interesting, and shared a "topic of conversation" I heard round the domino table so many times by my 90 year old grandfather and his windy friends. I enjoy the stories and round table discussions the same as the next but don't make me feel stupid because I post something you don't agree with or like. If I took it wrong I apologize ahead of time.
          Yeah, you did take it wrong. Roger(painshill) would be the last person in the world to make anyone on the forum feel stupid.  The subject has come up before on this forum(the link Roger posted to my thread is but one instance), as well as other forums. He's made it clear that he finds the evidence for lack of authenticity where NA runestones are concerned more compelling. I myself just don't know. I haven't personally written off any of them that come to mind, but I'm more aware of some of the problems with them thanks to arguments that Roger has presented here. So don't take things the wrong way, if I lived in Ok, I'd be hearing and telling stories about it too, just like the Newport Tower, here in Newport, RI, has been associated in lore and book with the Norse, whether it was built by them or not. And talked about all my life
        Rhode Island

Comment

• rakovsky
          rakovsky commented
          Editing a comment
          I understand. I am open minded on this kind of topic. Since the Greenlanders left runes in Greenland and then stayed in L'anse aux Meadows for ~10 to 15 years, and explored the eastern seaboard, it's normal to think that they could have left runes in some other places in Eastern Canada / the Northeast USA.

riverbottomkid wrote:

Hi Bobbie
        My sincere apologies if that came over as “trying to make you feel stupid”.  :blush: That wasn’t at all my intention, and I wasn't assuming anything about your take on the story. It’s just that when links like that get posted without any counter-comment there are folks who read what’s there and take the information as factual or proven. That’s fine. I don’t have any issues with people making up their own minds about something – as long as they have at least some exposure to the pro’s and con’s of particular theories. But, unfortunately, it often results in a flurry of posts from people with rather extreme views of what established research actually tells us, who think they’ve found related artefacts of huge archaeological importance.
        If you use the search facility on the forum, you’ll see that we have had several “Viking flurries”. We’ve had triangular stones, stones with triangular holes, carved runestones, clay tablets, swords… none of them Viking… but the posters are frequently aggressively insistent, based on some information from links like the one you posted. The only things we haven’t had yet are Viking maps or horned helmets. But I’m not holding my breath. :whistle:
        Our collective aim is to make this forum a professional and authoritative reference source for anyone with an interest in artefacts. That doesn’t in any way exclude alternative opinions, debate or argument. But we do try to firmly refute artefacts (not just Viking ones) which are clearly not what they are claimed to be in the interests of accuracy for people trawling the forum for helpful information.
        Thanks for the kind words you posted on my profile (I responded there). I hope this doesn’t mean you're cancelling that dinner date. I've ordered the flowers and everything. I was looking forward to it. I’ll buy.
        Best wishes
        Roger

Comment

• rakovsky
          rakovsky commented
          Editing a comment
          There is a real phenomenon of very cool and pretty authentic centuries-old petroglyphs in the Northeast US, but how many of them are Amerindian vs.Viking vs.colonial might be something beyond our current scientific ability to using precise methods for dating.

Roger, I wish you hadn't brought up clay tablets LOL.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

The article in the OP is taken down there, but it can still be found at this location:

Comment

Originally posted by painshill View Post
            Yes, a Viking presence is pretty well established for the site at L'Anse Aux Meadows in Newfoundland -and- Labrador, Canada which seems to tie in with ancient Viking sagas of voyages to "Vin-Land".
            But, apart from isolated pieces of evidence which are not universally accepted, no firm evidence for Viking presence beyond that, or which extends into what is now North America itself. Viking presence as far south as Maine remains a possibility (but only a possibility).
            I find that P. Sutherland's work is convincing in showing a Norse presence in Baffin Island in the Viking period.

In the two Viking Sagas on Vinland, the Vikings describe themselves as traveling down the Atlantic coast of North America to a place where it didn't snow in the winter that they arrived there. In the Saga of Eric the Red, they name this warm land "Hop", meaning Tidal Estuary Pool. They camp by a lake that they can only get to at high tide, and they leave after having conflict with the Amerindians.

I think that it would be helpful if more archaeologists and researchers laid out the description of Vinland's locations in the Sagas and drew a chart of how Vinland's locations would look if the geography in the Sagas was taken literally. I tried to do so myselfand made a post here with my own hand-drawn maps:
            In 1960, archaeologists found a Viking settlement on Newfoundland's northernmost peninsula, at L'Anse aux Meadows. They considered that it had been settled there for about 10 years. They also found Butternuts at the site, suggesting that the Vikings had traveled farther south, like to New Brunswick, where Butternuts grow

Click image for larger version  Name:	Vinland Map-Greenlanders with names.png Views:	0 Size:	23.3 KB ID:	699258
            Here is my hand-drawn map of how the Greenlanders' Saga might make Vinland's coordinates look.
            Last edited by rakovsky; 09-11-2023, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X