Ancient Apocalypse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient Apocalypse

Did anyone watch Ancient Apocalypse on netflix?

There's a lot of controversy about this series. I like it. That being said, what I like about it is that he challenges people to consider alternate theories. Whether the theories are crazy or not might help us learn more, either to disprove a crazy idea or maybe find other possibilities.

Serpent mound and Povery Point both make the series btw...

Journalist Graham Hancock travels the globe hunting for evidence of mysterious, lost civilizations dating back to the last Ice Age.

Without any facts, nothing but supposition supported by bits and pieces of occasional science that is used wrong and proves none of his so called theories.
    Archaeologist and scientist sometimes get it wrong, some even lie but eventually and particularly as we advance through the future BS presented as truth gets disproved.
    This guys is a hack journalist doing nothing more than lying to make a buck.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Graham Hancock is one of the leading purveyors of misinformation and disinformation, regarding human history on this planet, alive today. He is a huge part of the problem, with respect to the spread of pseudoarchaeology today.

Some links that may help expose this nonsense.

A review of Episode 1:

—————————————————————————————————-

With new series, Graham Hancock declares war on archaeology:

https://phys.org/news/2022-11-netfli...m-hancock.html

————————————————————————————————————

Ancient Apocalypse is the most dangerous show on Netflix:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...how-on-netflix

———————————————————————————————

Review of Episodes 3 and 4:

https://ahotcupofjoe.net/2022/11/gra...hree-and-four/
      Fraudulent

———————————————————————————————

Netflix data on who is watching.

https://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/n...n30pMRH5OnAEOI

————————————————————————————————————-——————

If you’re on Facebook, a group I highly recommend, where I obtained each of the above links is “Fraudulent Archaeology Hall of Shame”.
      Many of the leading archaeologists in the United States, and the world, post in the group, and they have been raking charlatan Graham Hancock over the coals.

And I am saying this as someone who has been keenly interested in “alternative history”, and “alternative archaeology” my entire life, and even I know Hancock is dangerous, because people are buying this crap. There is nothing good about our so-called transition to a Post-Truth world, where facts are optional, and the truth is whatever an individual wants the truth to be. Pseudoarchaeology was a pioneer in the transition to this Post Truth landscape, spitting out nonsense for decades. Think Ancient Aliens and other History Network revisioning of the human past.
      Last edited by CMD; 11-29-2022, 09:04 AM.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Wow, thanks for setting this straight guys. I guess this guy has been doing this sort of thing for a long time. I should've known when he said the staff at Serpent Mound kicked him out in one of his episodes lol.

Comment

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          He thinks outside the box, and that’s not a bad thing; it can be a real good thing in fact. It’s one way new ideas appear and new discoveries are made. I love thinking outside the box. But Hancock is bitter at not being accepted by mainstream pre historians and its showing in that series. It seems to be part of the overall rejection of “authority” in many areas of human knowledge. But, in general, I would never want to discourage anyone from thinking outside the box.

• DiversionHound
          DiversionHound commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm always out to learn more and it's always hard for me to filter out the junk from good research. No matter, I always like watching anything related to history of early humans. If nothing else, I learned about some new sites around the world, and now know some of the arguments against his ideas. And bad or not, at least it generates more conversation which I think is a good thing too.

My wife hates when I watch shows like this because I get angry. Hancock will quote scholarly archaeology work as gospel when it supports his claims. When it does not support his claims he blames the “mainstream archaeologist” for withholding sensitive
        information that may damage their careers and views. “Mainstream archaeology” is the catchphrase that pseudo archaeologists use to dismiss works that don’t conform to their fringe views. Archaeology is a discipline that is always changing with new discoveries, research and evidence. One keyword is evidence.
        Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

He lost me years ago when he suggested ancient man could move two ton stone blocks with their minds...and then forgot how to do it, that's why we can't today. 😐
          Central Ohio

Comment

Like watching this kind of stuff along with Oak Island and Ancient Aliens. More laughs than The 3 Stooges.
            SE IA

Comment

• Josie
              Josie commented
              Editing a comment
              Oak Island? Is that show still on? Did they ever find the money pit or treasure? I gave up watching years ago, lol.

• oldrocks2
              oldrocks2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Nope never did but every week they lead you to believe they are on to something, real laugh.

• Uncle Trav
              Uncle Trav commented
              Editing a comment
              The real treasure are the checks from the History Channel.

Well, the cat’s been let out of the bag. One archaeologist has broken ranks and is ready to admit he and his colleagues have been finding the remains of ancient Atlanteans everywhere.

There’s a part of me that enjoys questioning “received wisdom” so much, enjoys considering anomalies in many subject areas, enjoys questioning consensus opinion, and enjoys thinking outside the box, that, in reading all the mainstream archaeologists response to Hancock’s documentary, that I can honestly say their reaction borders on hysteria. Granted, it must be tough to see “pop archaeology” rewriting the narratives of prehistory. Anyway, some are trying to have a little fun with all of it. But, I always remind myself: don’t be too smug with what you think you know. Back in the day, scientists laughed and shook their fist at “uneducated peasants” who reported rocks falling from the sky. Bumpkins!! Today, we call those rocks meteorites. Not saying Atlantis existed, of course….
            Rhode Island

Comment

• sailorjoe
              sailorjoe commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Charlie. Who is this professor? He is hilarious and he is good at this. He almost pulled a "gotcha" on me cause at first I thought he was being serious but I knew for sure he was not when he said he was excavating at the 13,000 year strata before the dig was finished and data were analyzed. Then when he pulled out the miniature skull is when he "set the hook". I used to love to do "gotchas" like this on my buddies. I still do, except most of them are dead now. I'm getting quite old.

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Here’s the professor, Joe. The video was posted to the Facebook “Fraudulent Archaeology Wall of Shame” group…

Since 1993, I have spent 17 field seasons in the jungles of west-central Belize, studying the Classic Maya (AD 250-900).  My archaeological research focuses on a string of 25 cenotes (small, deep lakes) located in the Cara Blanca region of Belize, and how the ancient Maya used these cenotes during water rituals.  My research includes an underwater component, where the cenotes are explored and mapped using diving equipment. 

“I had to shoo them away and palm it” haha! awesome vid.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Interesting development:

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/ar...iction-2222060

“This week, the Society for American Archaeology published an open letter to Netflix and the television production house ITN requesting that they re-classify its new series Ancient Apocalypse as a work of fiction rather than a docuseries.

The show centers around bestselling author Graham Hancock’s meagerly substantiated claims about the existence of Atlantis, presenting them in a deceptive cloak of veracity.

“We urge both Netflix and ITN Productions to add disclaimers to the series that its content is unfounded,” the society wrote. “We also request that Netflix develop a policy that balances such false narratives with the presentation of scientific documentaries and accurate reporting.”

Open letter from Society forAmerican Archaeology to Netflix:

Rhode Island

Comment

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, agreed, won’t happen…

• Cecilia
                Cecilia commented
                Editing a comment
                I prolly subsidizing such stuff. Will admit, love imagined stories set in ancient time period! My library fulla fictionalized history (historical fiction?)…Jean Aural’s prehistorical Clan of Cave Bear series, Gary Jennings’ books re Aztecs, Robert Harris’ Pompeii, Allan Massie’s novels about Roman emperors, love it all. Had to do book report in 7th grade on The Silver Chalice, been hooked ever since…!

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                I did enjoy The Clan of Cave Bear series as well…

i personally liked it. we've been hood winked over n over by certain folks over the last hundred years. was it all believable no was it all wrong my opinion nope.
              Utah

Comment

I haven’t watched the show and will most likely pass on it. Not an off handed brush off though. I have read books written by Mr. Hancock also many articles and have seen numerous programs where his views have been expressed. The hard evidence to tie his many theories together just always seems to be out of reach and suppressed by “mainstream archaeologists”. He has very marketable name recognition which allow his views to be viewed by a mass audience but I’ll still pass based on his previous track record. Just my opinion though.
                Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Working...
                X