Oldest Known Projectile Points in North America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest Known Projectile Points in North America

The timing of the first human arrivals in the Americas remains one of the hottest debates in paleontology, but a set of tips for darts provide a major hint.

Check out the lithic in the upper left of the first photo.

Excellent read ... Thanks ...

Comment

Garguy has posted some points like the second translucent one. i forgot what he called them but i think he was saying he thought them to be older than Clovis points. i think he called them slouth slayer points.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Thanks for the thread doobie. Good read. Many of us have suspected for a long time that Pre-Clovis was a real possibility. Kim
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Here’s the paper, with enlarged photos of the projectiles.

Rhode Island

Comment

Many sites throughout the Americas (both North and South) have been found that pre-date Clovis. I always had a gut feeling that there were pre-Clovis cultures. Common sense told me that you just jump to a Clovis point technology from nothing at all. My curiosity causes me to wonder where did the Clovis point originate. Again my gut feeling is telling me that it originated in what is now the southeast USA. There are some things about fluted points in general that leads to that feeling but I am not going to expound on that now. But as usual it would not surprise me that I may very well be wrong.

Comment

I’ve found many points that look like those, but I doubt they are paleo. How did we get to calling stemmed points pre Clovis?
              South Dakota

Comment

Yea, theres some information still missing on that if in fact they are pre -clovis. 2500-3000 yrs and go from a small stemmed dart straight to a rather large fluted clovisish projectile. Hows that happen 🤔. Shared technology from outsiders from abroad? I think i need to go through my commons boxes though……think i may have some stemmed pre-clovis’s.

Comment

Originally posted by SDhunter View Post
                  I’ve found many points that look like those, but I doubt they are paleo. How did we get to calling stemmed points pre Clovis?
                  I believe we’ve known for years now that the Western Stemmed Tradition was at least as old as Clovis, and possibly older. As one archaeologist recently put it: “the Western Stemmed Tradition is finally coming into its own”.

I posted this news 12 years ago, on Arrowheadolgy, and the guys there went nuts. Raked the news over the coals. “Those are not Paleo, those are Archaic!!” Well, no, they are not. But, I imagine there would be problems deciding if you found a Paleo stemmed point, or an Archaic stemmed point. But, while this article from a dozen years ago is about Channel Island sites where the stemmed points and crescents are later than Clovis, it’s not by much, and now we know this type of stemmed is indeed older than Clovis. But, in general., we’ve known for awhile now that there was another tradition in the Far West that is as old as Clovis…

https://insider.si.edu/2011/03/calif...aring-economy/

Channel Islands, dated 12,200-11,400 years…

Click image for larger version  Name:	041471C0-7560-4759-89D8-242C75CCCF51.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.6 KB ID:	668930
                  Last edited by CMD; 01-01-2023, 08:52 AM.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

• SDhunter
                    SDhunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for sharing this Charlie

• CMD
                    CMD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You’re welcome, Gary.

Originally posted by PaleoSnow View Post
                  Yea, theres some information still missing on that if in fact they are pre -clovis. 2500-3000 yrs and go from a small stemmed dart straight to a rather large fluted clovisish projectile. Hows that happen 🤔. Shared technology from outsiders from abroad? I think i need to go through my commons boxes though……think i may have some stemmed pre-clovis’s.
                  How does it happen is actually because we’re talking about two different lithic traditions, the Western Stemmed Tradition being older than Clovis…..

Rhode Island

Comment

I've seen a few pre Clovis "Denis stanford" discoverd they resemble many of the archaic points I've seen no doubt stone points were duplicated throughout different cultures and time periods .
                    New Jersey

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	oregon-state-archaeolo.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	669240

Ya beat me to it.
                      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

When yall get bored, take a search for the pre Clovis artifacts found by Tamu and Tsu. Dr Waters and Dr Collins.

There Is no doubt stemmed points cultures were here before. During, and after clovis.
                        Last edited by Garguy; 01-01-2023, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_118111.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	669252 these wells points look a lot like the Coopers Ferry poinrs

Comment

Amazing what we keep finding out.
                            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
                            X