Red Bird Petroglyph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bird Petroglyph

I was searching around for things to do on a long weekend not too far away and stumbled upon this article.

Some think the petroglyphs are from pre-Columbian European travelers, while others think they are all Native American petroglyphs.

I'm not sure of the credibility of any of the views shared. I simply thought it was an interesting read and would like to know what others think:

Sandstone boulder supposedly marked with petroglyphs in eight pre-Columbus Old World languages, turning conventional history on its head. It broke off a remote cliff in 1994; now sheltered in a convenient city park.

I’m guessing if this were on a popular trail, there could be multiple groups of people adding their part. If Europeans, why didn’t they put a date? That seems pretty standard with early explorers.
    South Dakota

Comment

? Egyptians, Christians, European…?
      Not even close, those are without a doubt alien. If you like I could send a signal out to Xaredphligrnda. He, she, it is a close friend and he, she, it could tell you exactly what it all says. It may take a while. Despite being able to travel faster than the speed of light it will still take him, her, it a while to get here.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• DiversionHound
        DiversionHound commented
        Editing a comment
        I wonder if the petroglyphs are even ancient? Not sure if I trust they are old or could have been recently made for a tourist trap attempt?

Im by no means an expert on this stuff, But some of those markings look very much Norse "Viking" from stuff I have seen. I also do believe if it was Europeans there would be a date on it with a name. JMO

Comment

I come at all of this type of stuff with an open mind. I have read Barry Fell’s America B.C. Books by Graham Hancock, Ancient American Magazine as well as numerous books about the “lost race of mound builders” and so on, so I’m not coming at this topic with a blind eye. In the end in my view is that these theories don’t stand up to basic and legitimate questions based on facts, research or evidence. Most of the claims of ancient visitation by overseas cultures are loose threads that can’t be tied together. When the evidence is lacking they always fall back on the claim that “mainstream archaeology” is suppressing the “real truth”. When many of these claims can be backed up with facts and evidence I’ll be the first one to eat my hat but until then I’ll keep it on my head. Just my opinion and that ain’t worth much.
        Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

• DiversionHound
          DiversionHound commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I wonder what they are talking about the road from Canada to the Gulf Coast? It seems if there were travelers on such a road by pre-Columbian Europeans, we would be finding artifacts from such travel.

• gregszybala
          gregszybala commented
          Editing a comment
          Well put and agree

The late Harvard University Professor of Vertebrate Zoology, Barry Fell, was the individual who initiated the Ogham craze. His first book, America B.C. had every ancient Mediterranean civilization in existence sailing to the Americas. He accepted every single highly questionable artifact, with so called Old World crypts, uncritically. Never once questioned authenticity. That particular book was easily the most sloppily thrown together book I have ever encountered. It really seemed it was written in one weekend, and just a complete mish mash with no proof reading whatsoever. How anyone took this man seriously is beyond me. He really should have stuck with his specialty. He was no epigrapher! Some of his identified Ogham was obvious native sharpening grooves.

Now, since Fell fell out of style, thank God, the interpretation of many stone features in the Northeast have been identified as Native American by amateur enthusiasts eager to rewrite the history of prehistoric Northeastern America, and by a federation of East Coast tribal groups that support the amateur enthusiasts. Some professional archaeologists, such as Curtiss Hoffman, support this interpretation. Many pros do not, and it is hotly debated. I mention this because Fell and Ogham were at their height when many speculated our Northeastern stone cairns, stone chambers, “dolmens”, etc. were the result of contact with early Old World megalith builders. With the publication of Manitou, by Mavor and Dix, in 1989, the emphasis and interpretation switched to Native American origins for things Fell and others considered Old World. But still led by amateur enthusiasts at that time.

I have seen Barry Fell identify Native American stone sharpening grooves as ancient Old World Ogham. The entire Barry Fell/Ogham craze was one of the silliest interpretations of glyphs, etc. I have ever encountered. I really don’t know why or how the man ever thought he was qualified at all to render the interpretations he came up with. And his unquestioning acceptance of artifacts long understood to be modern fakes was really poor for a man claiming to practice science.

I was very much exposed to Fell and this interpretation back in the 70’s and early 80’s, with the New England Antiquities Research Association)NEARA). Fell was just one of the most uncritical thinking researchers imaginable, IMHO….
        Last edited by CMD; 01-07-2023, 10:04 AM.
        Rhode Island

Comment

• DiversionHound
          DiversionHound commented
          Editing a comment
          IF these markings are even from languages that were in existence before Columbus came, or Vikings, whatever, I question why there is the assumption the petroglyphs were made before Columbus, or Vikings, arrived? Whose to say they couldn't have been made after this time?
      Working...
      X