Typologies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typologies

A discussion identifying a posted artifact prompted me to write this thread. Depending on where you live, a point type is named by someone from that area. Back when many of these people were identifying types, there wasn't the communications between the identifiers with others in other parts of the country to collaborate and bring common names to the forefront. I give you "The Kirk". If you research a point type in an Overstreets ID book, it lists other point types that are similar to the type your looking for. The Casterville, Marcose, San Jaciinto, Stillwell, Grand, Pelican Lake, Northern, Palmer, Lost Lake, and others are all corner notched points that are indeed very similar to the "Kirk". When we try to an ID of a posted artifact, we should do some research so we can make a reasonable ID. Knowing the part of the country the posted piece is from will help us make a proper ID for all to see. Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Good post. Also pics with scale and at least3 pics showing both sides and an edge profile. Many similar shaped points have drastically different thickness and edge work which can be diagnostically helpful.
    Last edited by Garguy; 04-22-2023, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      That's right Gar. There are many aspects to consider when IDing a point type. I have seen several times where people diagnose a serrated point and call it a Kirk when it isn't that type at all. Just assuming that the serrations make it a Kirk. Thanks for the input. K

I'm probably too quick to give an opinion on types. I apologize if I steer anyone wrong. That's why I usually preface with "maybe its..." or "could it be...".

I enjoy researching and discussing, but I'm far from any kind of expert. Hope I haven't overstepped any boundaries, there. Good post.
    Western Kentucky

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think you did Mailman, either way it's all good. we all have our own opinions. If I am wrong about something and someone points that out I am the one that learns for my mistakes, as I said it's all good. Thanks my friend. K

• Mailman
      Mailman commented
      Editing a comment
      👍
Working...
X