Stunning Zapotec Figurine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stunning Zapotec Figurine

Found in a Zapotec tomb in Mexico, dating 750-900 CE. WOW.....

Rhode Island

Wow!!
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

It is rather impressive isn't it? But I'm sure it's a geofact and - rather than have it taint their collection - I would be quite prepared to take it off their hands and ensure its proper disposal. :whistle:
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

painshill wrote:

It is rather impressive isn't it? But I'm sure it's a geofact and - rather than have it taint their collection - I would be quite prepared to take it off their hands and ensure its proper disposal. :whistle:
          Roger, if you touch base with me, I have an address in mind for its proper disposal. Thanks for cracking another case :huh:        :whistle:
        Rhode Island

Comment

Isn't it amazing! What we don't know, yet know or may never know about the past. Everytime items like this are found, it just makes your jaw drop doesn't it?
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

Isn't it amazing! What we don't know, yet know or may never know about the past. Everytime items like this are found, it just makes your jaw drop doesn't it?
              Yeah, sometimes I think about heroes and events from the distant past that we will never know, mind sets of cultures/civilizations that we will never fully understand, and as you say, Greg, about how much we don't know. Take but one example that comes to mind because I was drawn to delve further into these people back in the late 60's/early70's, namely the Hopi of Arizona. They are obviously related to the Anasazi, so reading their myths or clan histories is a way of looking back in that direction so to speak, but apart from that each clan has it's own history of their migrations before final settlement on the Hopi mesas, and each of those histories are generations long, and places like Wupatki ruins in northern Arizona has a Mesoamerican style ball court, and it dawns on me that here is a full blown world that I can never truly enter.And this amnesiac situation, so to speak, applies to so many times and people throughout our existence as a species. How can we ever fully understand the Paleolithic hunters of Europe or anywhere? Did the Clovis hunters experience a meteor impact that changed the climate? Big event in species history if so, and they never had the opportunity to broadcast it 24/7 on cable news. Well, ya set me to musing, Greg, I think w're on the same page
            Where this object is concerned, it points out how full of color their art and architecture must have  been, and yes, it sure is jaw dropping!
            Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
            X