Water Glyph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Glyph

Took these photos in 1979. There is a ledge of outcrop here, quite extensive, and at this point in time some 90% below the mud and sand.
    Zig-zag lines are often interpreted as a symbol for water. Notice the top line is curvilinear and the bottom line more angular. I used a rough sketch of the ledge dating from the 1920's, figured out the scale that was used, paced off from a visible glyph and bingo, figured the scale correctly. Next tide, no sign it was ever dug up.

Rhode Island

CMD wrote:

Took these photos in 1979. There is a ledge of outcrop here, quite extensive, and at this point in time some 90% below the mud and sand.
    Zig-zag lines are often interpreted as a symbol for water. Notice the top line is curvilinear and the bottom line more angular. I used a rough sketch of the ledge dating from the 1920's, figured out the scale that was used, paced off from a visible glyph and bingo, figured the scale correctly. Next tide, no sign it was ever dug up.

that's REAL neat !!!!
    would like to know a little more about ur find Charlie
    I don't quite understand ur story ... forgive me
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

CMD,
      Great use of old journals to find a site.  I've never zeroed in to that level of precision (a couple of feet), but I have used some old articles published Harvard papers from the 20's and 30's to find archaeological sites that their researchers visited in South America.  I even found their trash pit with sardine cans and bottles from the US, and figured out that finding their garbage was the key to finding sites.
      Joshua
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

[QUOTE]G10 wrote:

Originally posted by CMD post=77798

that's REAL neat !!!!
        would like to know a little more about ur find Charlie
        I don't quite understand ur story ... forgive me
          I hadn't realized it was that recent, but I posted a more complete story here, Everett:

I've been going through stacks of old black and white photos from back in the day, and came across a bunch from that site. Thought that was a neat one because it showed context. Almost nothing left above ground now. The ledge was about 60% buried in 1979.
        Rhode Island

Comment

clovisoid wrote:

CMD,
          Great use of old journals to find a site.  I've never zeroed in to that level of precision (a couple of feet), but I have used some old articles published Harvard papers from the 20's and 30's to find archaeological sites that their researchers visited in South America.  I even found their trash pit with sardine cans and bottles from the US, and figured out that finding their garbage was the key to finding sites.
          Joshua
            That's cool. Whatever works I was able to photograph a few glyphs at the site that had been illustrated but were buried and had not been photographed when the site was first recorded in the 1920's.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
          X