The Pangaea Supercontinent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pangaea Supercontinent

Just in case you were wondering where you were on the map about 300 million years ago:

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

I guess that would add new meaning to "Right next door" and "just down the road".
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Hey Cgode and Charlie you guys are finding stuff right where Morocco used to be.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Neat map! Never been to Morocco, guess its too late to take a walk now! :laugh:
        Southern Connecticut

Comment

Hoss wrote:

Hey Cgode and Charlie you guys are finding stuff right where Morocco used to be.
            That's correct, Hoss. Avalonia was an archipelago of volcanic islands, like the Hawaiian chain, and eastern Ma., all of RI. and eastern Ct. east of the Bloody Bluff fault were a part of that island chain caught in the squeeze so to speak, when the continents merged. That is why trilobite fossils are found in both RI and Ma. that are the same genus as fossil Cambrian period trilobites found in Morocco, Spain. Bohemia, Great Britain, Newfoundland, portions of South Carolina, etc.,  all regions that were once together as an island archipelago or micro-continent. Southeastern New England 500 million years ago was a part of that chain of islands, and the trilobites lived in the shallow seas around that ancient chain that existed in a proto-Atlantic ocean, before the continents merged as Roger's map displays.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Charlie, Hoss, Chris and myself live in what was a huge rift valley that stretched from Newfoundland to Georgia. It was created when Pangea began to pull apart in the Triassic. The formation is known as the Newark Supergroup and contains some remarkable Triassic fossils and ichnofossils. In my area, the Carolina Slatebelt is part of the formation.

Comment

Working...
            X