The Megalithic Portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Megalithic Portal

On another post, I referenced something called the “Megalithic Portal” database:

It’s actually a forum and news site which includes a database of prehistoric sites and stone structures. It started as a site relating to the British Isles, up to the Norman conquest in 1066AD. But it has rapidly expanded to cover mainland Europe and beyond, including an increasing number of entries for North America. Keep clicking on the maps at the top to get to your region.
    There are some notes about scope and content here:

Note also the following: “We do welcome site entries for modern and 'tribute' stone circles and monoliths, ie those created more recently than true prehistoric ones. This is partly to explain and date sites that can be confused with true ancient sites and partly as a bit of fun and to appreciate the architecture of these sites. Standing stones and circles are still being built and we are always keen to see modern examples from all over the world”. That’s refreshingly helpful isn’t it?
    There is also a note on the forum that directs people who want to “discuss alternative ideas relating to ancient sites, theories involving earth energies, dowsing, ritual, or other such things” to a special “Sacred Sites” section. It’s a good approach since it keeps those discussions away from the mainstream archaeology discussions.
    Maybe some of you will find this interesting or useful.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

I guess this would belong in that 3rd category  :silly:

New archeological finds shed light on the most misunderstood monument of the ancient world.

Interesting links: Thanks!
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

That's great Olden. I would say that is a visual I could have done without though! :silly:
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Yeah.. I think I prefer the classics myself. 
        Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" mashed-up to Willie Nelson's "Funny How Time Slips Away"

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Working...
        X