Trip to Ft. Ancient Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip to Ft. Ancient Ohio

Both places are about 30 minutes away. Have taken all the sisters and nieces to these places, now I get to share these with their kids also. Next will be the Serpent Mound, Mound City Group and Newark Mounds. Been to them all and other smaller mounds around the southern part of state but never to Newark. That will be interesting . The copper pieces are Ear Spools/

Nice pictures Spanky! I've been to all of those southern Ohio sites, and I love the museum at Ft Ancient. It's been ten years but it looks like the same fine relics.
    Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Thanks Spanky!
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Thanks Cliff and Chase. Cliff did you ever get to Newark or was that too far north. When I went to the Mound City Group I was disappointed because not many artifacts to show. Have read where they sold most overseas because nobody wanted the collection they wanted to sell back then. Maybe Roger has seen the collection over there. Would have to look up where it went. Thinking they had over 4000 to 7000 artifacts sold. Don't remember the what it was those numbers come to mind.

Comment

Got to be fun and educational visiting all of these sites. Can you imagine what The land was like during the heyday of these cultures?
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Know what you mean, when I took my niece 2 years ago she was able to see her first Bald Eagle chasing ducks and geese on the river. I tried to paint a picture for her, she was only 6 then. After done walking I asked her what she thought and she told me she was bored. So I told her we wouldn't go anywhere again unless she wanted to go. Two years later she wanted to go back, this time she asked me. I think she is learning a little bit when we go. Can't wait for the time when all 3 kids find their first piece.

Comment

What is that in the first pic you showed?
              I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

those are some nice pics, I went to spiro mounds a few months ago but it just so happened that I happened to be there on a day they were closed.     . It is amazing to see all the things that were made from so little and how far materials were transported, amazing.  Those are the places a person go see time and time again. thanks for sharing.

Comment

Does anyone know what those are in the first pic?

Comment

Jeffery Howle wrote:

Looks like copper ear spools.
                    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

[QUOTE]rmartin wrote:

Originally posted by Jeffery Howle post=91146
                        Looks like copper ear spools.
                        Thanks Ray....I can't tell by size are they small?

Comment

copper celts
                        copper bracelets
                        Yes they are ear spools, I put that in my comments but after posting more pics  they went way down in the thread. Thinking the bigger pieces were about 1 1/2in. The other pic is Mica made into a bird claw and a bear claw. Up at the Mound City Group they have 1 burial that was loaded with just Mica. Don't remember where the Hopewell traded for it.

Comment

Paleo that what would happen to me since I would go home for Xmas. Places would be closed for the winter.

Comment

I would be interested to know something. While at the Columbus Archaeological Society Museum in Columbus, Ohio some years ago I viewed the same Mica claw and I believe the Obsidian Ross blade. I don't think there is any thing wrong with a museum displaying a cast but I think It should be noted. Just kinda makes me wonder!
                            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Don't know about that Ray, they did say cast on the big blades from Mo. Didn't see any sign saying cast on those so I assumed the real deal. Want to ask Roger if he has ever gone to the British Museum in London to check out the Hopewell collection from the Mound City Group that was sold back in the 1800's so Squires and Davis could keep digging. Can't believe nobody in the states not even the Smithsonian wanted it back then. Would like to see Pictures of the collection, went to the site on the web but didn't see any info on the collection. Do you know anything about that Ray?

Comment

Working...
                              X