Oldest Rock Art in NA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest Rock Art in NA

10,500-14,800 years old. Nevada. Notice the rock covered in "cupules" on the right section of the outcrop. Cupules are a common design element in rock art sites around the globe...
    A new high-tech analysis led by a University of Colorado Boulder researcher shows the oldest known petroglyphs in North America, which are cut into several boulders in western Nevada, date to at least 10,500 years ago and perhaps even as far back as 14,800 years ago.

Cupules:
    Cupules: Prehistoric Hemispherical Petroglyphs: Definition, Description, History, Types: Oldest Cupule Discovery, Bhimbetka

"Indeed, the oldest art on every populated continent consists of linear grooves and cupules. It dates from as early as the Lower Paleolithic era, and therefore pre-dates the more celebrated Gravettian and Magdalenian cave painting by hundreds of millennia."
    Fascinating that the oldest rock art found in NA includes a panel covered in cupules.
    Rhode Island

Thanks Charlie, Interesting read. That must have taken a lot of hours to carve all those.
    Ron
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Interesting study of cupules:

Cupules on the Columbia River:
      Upriver of Vancouver, Washington the Columbia River bank is edged with thousands of rounded basalt boulders. Ripped from the up-river bedro...

Rhode Island

Comment

Here's the only close up I could find so far. Guess I would need to see the original report. On another forum, someone suggested these researchers were simply playing some kind of game to find the "oldest", but their dating method seemed fine to me, I don't see anything phony about their discovery. Probably could have left out "oldest", that's a headline word and there may be older out there. Personally, I think a panel from the Paleo era is a big deal in petroglyph studies.

Rhode Island

Comment

What do you guys think the age is on the coral, and fossil rocks found?  I find them in the woods near caves all the time.  It blows me away.
            :evil:

Comment

punisher wrote:

What do you guys think the age is on the coral, and fossil rocks found?  I find them in the woods near caves all the time.  It blows me away.
              :evil:
              We have a couple of very knowledgable fossil collectors here. painshill(Roger) from England can ID for you when he returns from vacation end of month. Jessie from Texas might know your fossils. He collects a lot of marine fossils. In general, though, I can at least tell you measure the age in hundreds of millions of years old, perhaps the Devonian Period, roughly 420-360 million years ago:
            Western Kentucky Office, Henderson, Mapping: Surficial Mapping Program, State Map and Sediment Lab

Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
            X