http://projectilepoints.net/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://projectilepoints.net/

Does anyone know who the webmaster of http://projectilepoints.net/ is and/or how I can contact him/her? The contact info on the website is no longer working, so I am hoping someone here can help me contact the webmaster of that site. Thanks in advance, Mike Lynn

Sorry everything authentic over here...

Comment

The website I am asking about contains info about authentic point types. If I had to guess, it is run by an archeologist. That is why I am hoping someone here can help me contact that sites webmaster. -Mike

Comment

I think Knappers should make their own type...sorry mixed feelings at this site...jn

Comment

I mean?...Theres people here ok with it but theres great chance in a little portion of time compared with authentic points time that yours could get mis represented....i mean all the reproductions come from somewhere.Modern Knapping......jn

Comment

I know theres dishonest people and honest people and Knapping is an art now.....Enjoy what you do...We will learn to distinquish between the two...Authentic and Reproductions..

Comment

Am I missing something here?
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I have never heard of the site before Mike, but if I come across any info I will post it here.

Comment

I am pretty much as confused as you are Greg. Apparently Mike wants to contact the webmaster of the site. Kinda finding out that some of us aren't big fans of knappers in the process I guess. LOL-

Comment

The site post photos and renderings of points by name and or areas in the U.S.
                    Fairly handy for identification, especially for us newbies as far as an online resource.
                    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

It not so much Knappers Bill...Its reproductions...Hate em....I dont stand alone.....jn

Comment

I dont like the idea of a knapper wanting to copy flaking of authentic pieces. I guess flint knapping is considered art....I dont care for it.

Comment

Lots of knappers are artifact hunters and purchasers too.  Many respect ancient flintknapping so much they want to figure out how the ancients made things and then try to replicate their work. In fact, most of the top knappers fall into that category. 
                          I understand that artifact buyers have been burned by modern fakes and as a result do not view flintknappers favorably.  However, you should know that flintknappers as a whole also consider it bad to represent their work as ancient. People who pass off modern points as ancient are strongly disapproved of by ALL the flintknappers I have ever met or corresponded with.
                          Many archeologists dislike amateur relic hunters and buyers just like many relic purchasers dislike flintknappers.  Both are wrong to  diss the activities of others just because a small minority do bad things.
                          Artifact hunters/buyer and flintknappers should be friends because they both share a love of ancient stone tools.
                          JMHO  -Mike

Comment

I have no problem with flint knappers Mike, have you ever attended the knap in at Flintridge, Ohio? Knapping to me is an art. The problem that the true artifact collector is not as much the knapper themselves, but the folks they sell their craft to in many cases pass off the modern points as authentic. I know knappers that "mark" their work to avoid this from happening. I also know knappers who know this is taking place with their artwork and continue to feed the system, that I have a problem with.
                              I think all knappers who develop into a good skill are very talented individuals. I have friends who knap legendary stuff, but despise "artifakers" more than many collectors on this site. Nothing personal against you as a person Mike, all good folks here, just a subject that leaves a bad taste in some of our mouths.- Have a good Easter-Bill

Comment

I just checked that site out and looked at what they had on Florida.
                              They have several points, too many, that WE DO NOT HAVE IN FL.
                              It is therefore, not a good source of correct info on point types of specific areas.
                              In regards to flintknapping.....Good for you.  Beware the ballpeen. I tell my knapper friends to take up crocheting or tatting instead. :dry: :laugh:

Info on that site:

Professor Shellman
                              Tampa Bay

Comment

Working...
                              X