OH Humpback Scraper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OH Humpback Scraper

This little Ohio scraper measures 1 13/16 X 1 1/16 X 7/16 inch. It is unifaced
    and shaped like a turtle shell. I have seen them called humpback scrapers and I
    have seen them called turtleback scrapers. What would you call it?

Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Not what I've always seen/called a turtle back. I think of them as a flat worked bottom with steep sides to a flat top. Anyways I'm probably wrong there but that's how I see em. Cool piece btw. Thanks

Comment

Ron, I am ok with either way they are called as long as the word effigy don't follow. :unsure:  :dry:  :blink:
      When I first started collecting the terms for scrapers, were like as stated Turtle, hogback, ect.... then went into end, side, and so fourth. Now I use the word scraper, nondescript, if the design intent from the start, was scraper and not from a salvaged or exhausted point........
      Nice scraper Ron, now what were you asking?
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Thanks Chase, I see hundreds of "types" of points. All the people who crafted
        these points also used scrapers. I see a few distinctly different styles of scrapers.
        Few if you don't count the many different bases on hafted scrapers.
        Now might I suggest something completely outrageous? As an ancient craftsman I have
        been using a base that works very well when hafting a point to an arrow shaft or
        atlatl shaft. What would stop me from using that same base to craft a scraper which
        I want to haft to a short handle?
        Michigan Yooper

Comment

just a guess,but maybe unhafted scrapers were more of a womens tool,they did most of the butchering,hide processing and leather work after all (from what ive read)and my take on yer question,nothing! i dont think anything would stop a creative native from using a good piece of material over and over till it was exhausted or unusable.
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

I see what you are saying Ron. We assume that hafted scrapers came from salvagd points, they very well could have been specifically made and notched in the same style as the projectiles. ! I get it ?

Comment

Butch Wilson wrote:

I see what you are saying Ron. We assume that hafted scrapers came from salvagd points, they very well could have been specifically made and notched in the same style as the projectiles. ! I get it ?
                Yes Thanks Butch. I have wondered for a long time why we assume that all of these hafted scrapers started life as a point. I can understand that it would be expedite to recycle broken points and continue to use them as scrapers. But if I din't have enough broken points to fill the need I would simply make more scrapers.
              Michigan Yooper

Comment

Posted by [yakman83]:

TURTLEBACK!

Comment

Here's another for you Ron, found today.

Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks Greg, That's a beauty. I like the work and the material. Nice find
                    Michigan Yooper

Comment

Many artifacts like those, IMO, began as large flakes used as ad hoc tools while primarily serving as flake cores. The more time passed and the more flakes were removed from them, he shorter & narrower they got to be, and the higher the edge angles became. When sections of their edges were specifically modified for particular uses, they're identifiable by this.

FWIW

Comment

Working...
                      X