largest spear point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• largest spear point

Anyone know the largest spearpoint made by indians; my brother traded a Tenn. preacher out of one in the early 60's; that he said he found in a river bed below an old indian graveyard after some flooding; my brother is now gone and the artifact was left to me; and from all the research that I have done; it seams as if the indians never made anything this big; it is a dove tail and measures 13 1/2 inches long and 2 1/4 wide at the widest point; any help or info appreachated.

A picture or two would help a lot. However, it sounds like a Grey Ghost or modern knapped piece that were very popular in the 40's-60's.

Comment

here you go; and thanks for the reply.

Comment

let's try again

Comment

the other side

Comment

That is no dovetail,and you need to do some more research,because Bentons and Turkeytails,have been known to be over 16 inches long.Yours, kind of reminds me of a Benton.Also grave aquired artifacts are against the law to have in your possession.

Comment

From the washed-out pics it looks to be modern not made by any Indian or in any Indian grave. Looks like a sawed slab that someone knapped on. Take a pic of the edge view if possible.
              I sure would like to see one of those 16" Bentons, cause IMO they only exist in imaginations.

Comment

Cliff, I collect in the heart of Benton country, the largest I have seen is over twelve inches long. Buffalo River chert with a super heave patina almost crusty on one side and a nice sheen on the other. It is broken and the break is also heavy with crusty patina.   What made that crusty patina?? Body contact in an Archaic shell midden. That patina is not present on the point in question. The largest I have is close to seven inches. I would have to handle the point to offer an opinion. It looks to be Burlington chert from the picture.  B)

Comment

Looks modern...PLUS that would be Burlington chert which is not found in Tenn
                  Some of the biggest points are from around the St.Louis Missouri area,being Etley and many are made from Burlington chert..........7 to 9 inch long would be some of the longest
                  Your piece sad to say looks like modern heat-treated Burlington.

Comment

You are fine to own it. Anything pre-1979 is ok by federal law to own-sell.Get it all on paper documenting the history and dates and such even noterized.If you spend the $25.00 -and- shipping to Tom Davis artifacts or other top graders you will know right away if its good-bad. B)

Comment

Working...
                    X