X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluted Tip

IA cousin brought this by yeaterday. Ive never seen one like it

east Tx.

I have a few like that and a seasoned collector( that is also a great knapper) told me that is a impact fracture flake ; most likely lost when that tip got busted.  Beautiful point though.

Comment

An impact fracture is correct, caused when the point probably missed the target, and  hit something hard, like an oak tree or rock.
      http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

beautiful point and some sweet looking material
        but yes, an impact fracture

Comment

Hey Rodney, I think the impact fracture is really cool. :woohoo:  The ancient hunter may have seen a huge elk. He was so flustered by that huge 7X7 rack. When he hurled the dart it hit the antler rather than the chest.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Like when you find an impacted tip, gives you a good idea it was actually used! That's a nice point too!
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Agree on impact fracture, but - as an aside - tip-fluting is not an unknown technology.
              There was some discussion here, as well as some great illustrations from Tyson:

hey guys, got a question for ya,. has any of you guys ever seen or herd of a fluted paleo point , that the direction of the flute was from the TIP to the BASE?, all
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I agree that is an impact fracture. But I must disagree about the tip fluting of the Folsom point. Tyson is a good friend of mine and a fabulous illustrator of artifacts. Dr. Kornfeld I respect and even sat in for lecture this Fall. His book   The First Rocky Mountaineers: Coloradans Before Colorado.  is about Barger Gulch and other sites  in the Rocky Mountains. But from what I have seen the platforms for fluting, are at the base. JMO
                Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Really nice piece.  I agree that it is an impact fracture.

Comment

Yep.  That point got  "self-fluted" when it hit something hard "just right."  On a lot of these, the flute goes a little bit awry because of the randomness of the fluting incident.  However, once upon a time, I was walking across a Mississippian site that had just been plowed and found a large, bifurcate base point whose tip had hit something just right too.  It had one of the nicest, straightest, and deepest Clovis-like flutes I had ever seen.  Sometimes the randomness of Mother Nature does her work just right.

Comment

Cool find! Here's the link to a thread I started,  were you could show your impact fracture finds, Joshinmo added one to this thread that was "fluted" from the impact like like yours. Thanks for Sharing!
                      Here is an example of an impact fracture on a Bucks Creek point from Western Ky. Made from Banded Dover. If you have an example of Impact fracturing let's see it!

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I've always wondered what this big ole pickwick hit!! :dunno:

Comment

Looks like we have agreement on the impact fracture. Not sure of the type, but it's sure a sweet find!

Comment

Never saw a a double-barreled flute like that one---wonder what that did hit?

Comment

Working...
                            X