Labeling Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone
    This is great information.  As newbies we were uncertain about writing on the actual arrowhead/artifact.  We have ours in ziplocks-Terrible right! lol  but getting ready to put them in a display, several great suggestions.  Liquid paper sounds interesting wish I could see it on one.  Lol hint hint.  So do you think writing on the artifact takes away from the value? I like the idea of the red boarder labels too. Thanks for sharing!
    JTinc
    Go Team!!

Comment

These are some great tips. Think I'll retrieve some of those "thought. I had something" pointy rocks from the driveway, try a few of these techniques -and- see how they do. Thanks!
      Child of the tides

Comment

Great idea doing a test run on a driveway find.  Each and every artifact we have found is just so special to us we would be so sad to mess it up- sounds silly but true!
        Thanks again
        JTinc
        Go Team!!

Comment

Havenhunter wrote:

These are some great tips. Think I'll retrieve some of those "thought. I had something" pointy rocks from the driveway, try a few of these techniques -and- see how they do. Thanks!
            Great idea.  Experimentation on something nonvaluable is one way to get where you want to go.

Comment

This thread is old but thought it was worth resurrecting. Through trial and error I came up with the following means of identifying my artifacts that works well for me now, and for my heirs in the future: I bought a package of vinyl cloth adhesive numbers from Amazon I recalled using during my electronics days. They are waterproof, stick nicely, but peel off easily. The package includes multiple numbers 1-20; fine if you only have 20 artifacts! But with a pair of sharp craft scissors or Exacto knife, it's easy to create new number combinations.
            As Orari suggested, I created a spreadsheet, using Excel, that lists each artifact by number, type, era, where it was found (even if it's a purchase), whether it has a COA, and the purchase price or, if it was a personal find, a brief description about how it was found.
            I've also tried the clear fingernail polish and black micro marker that also works well, provided the lithic isn't too dark. I tried the silver marker but didn't like the looks.
            I'm sure other folks have their own tried and true methods, but this one works well for me. Now all one needs to do it open my case, turn the artifact over, note the number, and look at my spreadsheet.
            Child of the tides

Comment

Hey Deb, That sounds like a good method of identification. I don't like permanent paint on the artifacts: It seems to degrade the artifact in my eyes.
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
              X