need help identifing Indian rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help identifing Indian rock

Howdy gang . Wondering if I can get some help identifing this rock I have . Was passed down by my father who found it in an old fire pit. Ive asked around alot and no one can really say .... thanks

Hey ETHANB123, Welcome to the forum. Glad you could join us. In what state and county was it found?  How big is it? What does the other side look like? It may have been used as a cooking stone. Get that stone real hot in the coals and then drop into your soup.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Hi there , found in Jefferson County missouri , I'll see if I can upload some more pics , was having a bit of trouble

Comment

Thats a thinker. Heres one i picked up at a shop in jeff co. Not sure, maybe heating stones?????? :dunno:
        Stopped by a resale shop and found this Stone. Looks like The Granite Hardstone used for Axes out here. Its very smooth.

http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Heres the other side ,  Bout 2.5 inches every way

Comment

Well the etchings were intentional but I can't tell from the pictures if those marks are ancient or not. Would have to look with magnification to see the patina over the scratches. If I was using cooking stones I would gather stones about that size. That's just a possible use.  :dunno:
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Was told by a scientist that it could've been some kind of map that points to the stars but never was confirmed

Comment

Yeah, the incised lines do look deliberate. In which case, it's at least a "portable petroglyph" of unknown purpose, assuming the lines are in fact ancient. They are patinated as much as the cobble. Here's a portable petroglyph from Massachusetts. Quartzite.

Rhode Island

Comment

It's not clear to me that the lines are patinated the same as the rock itself.  The lines look recent to me---but mine is just one opinion among many.

Comment

This was how the rock was found in the early 80s in an old firepit. I was with my father when he found it so I dont doubt its authentic, but I guess I need to take it somewhere and have it looked at.

Comment

Working...
                    X