Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• red axe head

Not sure what Era this one's from but it's nice

That's a beautiful celt!  If you click "insert" after you Attach each photo they will appear full size in you post. It will keep the moderators from having to do it for you. Thanks for showing it!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Ohhhh thanks for that info !

Comment

No problem,  you can use the edit button to go back into your post and then insert the photos 
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

That my friend is one fine Celt.If that is a personal find congratulations.I have never seen a red one.It is in wonderful condition with the bit end still intact .mjm

Comment

Nice celt! They were in use for a long time beginning approximately in the Early Woodland period and extending through the Late Woodland or Late Mississippian period depending on your location. Here is an older thread that might be of interest.

http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/g...xe-small-celts
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

That celt is really cool.  Thanks for sharing the pic
              Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

That one is unusual in color---very nice!!!

Comment

Definitely, kind of curious about material. Not even sure what the dark grey/black material is let alone this. Had the idea the grey was granite but most granite found in this state is used for tombstones and doesnt really look like either material but believe hardstone is just a loose term :dunno: would be nice to know where the material came from for celts.
                  Awesome celt!
                  http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Nice celt....Oh and :welcome:  to the site.... another thing in the future try to include something in your pics for size reference.....What is the size? :dunno:  never seen red one.
                    I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

3.5 to 4 inches in length. I have a few others ill be posting soon !

Comment

It looks like hematite to me. Some of the examples on the thread rmartin linked to are black/brownish hematite but it occurs in colours all the way through to bright red, depending on its mineralogical state. You might think of red hematite as a soft material, but it isn't and has a hardness of between 5.5 - 6.5 on the Mohs scale (versus granite at 6 - 7). It's often confused with red ochre which is a clay that has been coloured with hydrated hematite and is soft enough to be easily scraped to create a powder for pigment use.
                        Very nice item.
                        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

That is a beautiful celt.  First one I have seen of that color.
                          South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                          X