What time period is this blade ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What time period is this blade ?

I'm guessing but need help. It was found broke but thankfully found both halfs

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2015-01-12 [replaced].jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	210435
    east Tx.

looks like a waste flake
    gonna be hard to date that,if it is a waste flake

Comment

Not a waste flake its about 3 in long and 2.33 wide worked all the way around found in context to some paleo points
      east Tx.

Comment

:dunno: Neat you found both pieces anyway!
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

What does the back side look like?  To me it looks like a flake that they worked into a tool.  I can see the flaking around the edge.  Maybe a scraper or a knife of sorts.
          South Dakota

Comment

SDhunter wrote:

What does the back side look like?  To me it looks like a flake that they worked into a tool.  I can see the flaking around the edge.  Maybe a scraper or a knife of sorts.
              I would call that a large utilized flake---but it is not clear to me either that it was utilized---really do need to see that flip side with good focus on the edges.

Comment

I believe the flake is right, the back is smooth either from the sand or just not worked. Thanks guys you all  are awesome.
              east Tx.

Comment

If the edge on the top side of the photo is finely chipped (which is kinda hard to see because of being a tiny bit out of focus) as it seems to be and the under side is perfectly smooth then I would guess it likely to be a uniface knife. Uniface knives  and scrappers are usually considered to be associated with Paleo period artifacts. Sites that produce these kinds of artifacts frequently produce point types associated with very early Archaic, transitional Paleo and Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                X