Snapped base forms? Or broken!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapped base forms? Or broken!

Iam sure yall have talked about this before, but is a snapped base form made up by overstreet Just to show nice broken pieces? I read that trying to find out more information on the type. My wife found this lost lake snapped base, or is it just broke like i tell her to get her fired up, lol :rolf: It dose look like it was snapped off on purpose, but why would they do that? I have read many arguments , it could go either way , but more say broke. Any help on the topic would be interesting. For her sake i hope its a real type.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2015-01-28 [replaced].jpg
Views:	178
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	207648

Name:	image_2015-01-28-2 [replaced].jpg
Views:	165
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	207649

Name:	image_2015-01-28-3 [replaced].jpg
Views:	163
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	207650

There is a snapped base....but the reason it is snapped is because it breaks at the hafting area.....I wished it was not a broken point cause I have a few SNAPPED bases myself :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :crazy:  :crazy:
    I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

Josh, just a real quick reply and I will try to follow up tomorrow with more detail. But the short answer is YES. There seem to be points that were either "snapped off" or purposefully left unfinished in the basal area.  And some of them, I think, are "legitimate" point types. The publisher's of Overstreet did not make this up. As for the point in your Pic:  And  I really hate to do say this when your photo is all I have to go by but it looks like the base is broken, not a purposefully made "snap base".  But  I really have to look at some of my literature to even make more than this WAG. Also FWIW, it doesn't look like a Lost Lake to me. Because of the dark color or the rock, we need to have a photo that shows more definition. Thanks for showing us this puzzle. This thread is one of the reasons that makes this forum so interesting to me.

Comment

sailorjoe wrote:

Josh, just a real quick reply and I will try to follow up tomorrow with more detail. But the short answer is YES. There seem to be points that were either "snapped off" or purposefully left unfinished in the basal area.  And some of them, I think, are "legitimate" point types. The publisher's of Overstreet did not make this up. As for the point in your Pic:  And  I really hate to do say this when your photo is all I have to go by but it looks like the base is broken, not a purposefully made "snap base".  But  I really have to look at some of my literature to even make more than this WAG. Also FWIW, it doesn't look like a Lost Lake to me. Because of the dark color or the rock, we need to have a photo that shows more definition. Thanks for showing us this puzzle. This thread is one of the reasons that makes this forum so interesting to me.
          Joe.....I kinda agree there are some snapped base forms but the snapped base still has a BASE to it not snapped off in a funny kind of way....I too will show pics of some that might be called snapped base but if it has no base at all or maybe a crooked snap than its broken at the hafting point. Which I'm sure you have heard this before is the weakest point.
        I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

:laugh:
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Comment

:rolf: Josh that's funny!
              I know exactly what you mean. Touchy subject.  I have some input here but I'm not prepared today. I will make myself look like an idiot Tommorrow inch: .  I will say I'm neutral to the topic but I can't disregard observations I've made that seem to be more than coincidence.  To be continued. .... :rolf:
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

the only reason i called it a lost lake was it looks to have a bevel on one side of each face

Here is a different  type,,   Looks snapped off on each side of the base,    I have never seen flint like this

Is this one broke?  What type could this be,   Found in logan county kentucky

Comment

It doesn't look like it would have had much of a base on it at all. :dunno:  Like a fluting "nip" that was "broken" off.
                  http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

JoshinMO wrote:

It doesn't look like it would have had much of a base on it at all. :dunno:  Like a fluting "nip" that was "broken" off.
                      Yep, I think there are signs of secondary work, to remove a slightly larger "foot print" the "snapped base" would have left.
                    Joshinmo I need to borrow that "ten foot pole". :rolf:
                    Josh Mathews,  I know you've took several photos already,  but may I ask for one more. I'd like to see a straight on view of the base. No rush, but I would like to gander at another good photo of the basal area cross section if it's not to much of an inconvenience. Thanks.
                    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Great Topic.
                      I have two points with the bases apparently snapped, but there are three facets to the breaks on both. I doubt these are snapped base  points that were discarded.They appear to be this way on purpose.

Comment

I thing many/most of the traditional snap base i.e. kirks are broken.  Others with clipped bases I think were adjusted for hafting.

Comment

I would agree with you on that. The bases on the points of mine have to many facets, evidence of several breaks that I believe were intentional.

Comment

I think they did it on purpose so they wouldnt have a sharp edge to split the shaft, and to have a wider bearing surface for glue to meld to. For every action there is an = and opposite reaction. A dart hits the target, it splits the shaft because the haft of the blade is a atom fine edge rather then impart the energy of the projectile in the form of penetration into flesh and bone. A flat snapped base would have a larger surface area to distribute the force of impact,  and thus less likely to expend energy by allowing the projectile to split the wood of the shaft along the the vertical grain.

Comment

I'll post some of my interesting snapped base and rind points if you like. this is my favorite because it show plenty of work on the base..
                              update I found an old post I made on some snapped base points with plenty of pictures in it, A few of them have bases just like Joels and others. this may not mean it was intentional, it just means they were broken the same way.
                              There are going to be alot of points in this thread that I am not sure about. They were all found in Lincoln county Ky. What I would like to learn with your...

Comment

Working...
                              X