Hardstone in-situ's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardstone in-situ's

Would like to see in-situ's of hardstone finds. Not just ones that are laying on top of the ground. Need to see some that are not so easy to tell what they are. And tell me why you thought it was an artifact. I have never found celt or axe. Sure I might have walked by some and didn't realize what I was looking at. I can see flint a mile away :whistle: ...But need to train my eyes to see other things. So if you got some show them.
    I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Well, best I got is pitted Mano . I guess why I "knew" it was something is I was at a good site and we just do not have rocks around here.  I was hoping it was going to be an axe!

Comment

Here is a little axe,  that I thought was probably a celt at first.   This one was fairly easy to spot,  but other's I've found,  were trickier.  I look for very smooth stones.
      I've dug out a couple of tools that only a tiny bit of smooth stone showed.  Let's see if I can find those pics. 

South Dakota

Comment

Half buried axe. Also rather obvious I guess.

This maul was almost completely buried. I regret not taking a picture in the ground, but didn't really think it was anything at first. Just checking. Imagine my surprise when the groove showed up. Anyway, look close at the little bit of clean stone toward the right of the groove. That was all I saw to decide to dig. Just smooth and
        round.

South Dakota

Comment

One more Jeffery,  and then that's all I have to help.   Again,  I didn't get an insitu,  because I  left my camera in the car,  and didn't want to walk back to get it,  but if you
          look at the very top one inch of this celt,  you'll see the clean part,  and that was all that was sticking out of the ground.  Just a little bit of smooth rock. The bit was flush with the surface, so it did not look like a celt. I didn't really expect too much, when I started to dig.   Hope it helps,   sorry the pics are exactly what you wanted,  but at least it gives you an idea of what to concentrate on.  If it looks smooth,  I dig it out. 

South Dakota

Comment

I'm with you Jeff....they are hard to find where I'm at....have a few broken celts, no in situs. Still waiting on my first!

Comment

Here's a gouge!

Comment

Jeff I don't know if you're hunting in fields or not! Here in Maine for the most part its mainly hunting near water.What my eyes are drawn to are besides the flaking on stone or the chosen material that they preferred to use is anything to straight or to round.As of lately a characteristic of the tool like a bit end stands out to me...mjm

Comment

The only gouge I've ever found was laying in a field scoop side down. I never did understand what made me flip it out. An experienced collector told me "you're unconsciously recognizing basalt when you see it." OK, if he says so. :dunno:
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Great thread Jeffery. Love the in situs. I am kinda bummed because I have found some hardstone but I have never taken pics.
                    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Thanks all....I doubt I will get a pic of one before I have picked it up unless its laying on top of the ground. I have noticed that I am looking harder for hardstone artifacts and turn more and more rocks over looking.  a chipped flint piece for me is kinda easy to spot. But it was not always that way it took me many years to train my brain what to look for.  Maybe if I ever find some hardstone ( other than manos and hammerstones) I might be able to see more of what I need to be looking for. As yall know I don't really hunt fields where rocks might be less numerous than on the river banks and creeks.  Thanks again for the pics.
                      I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

WOW! Those are some great finds and pictures. Thank you for starting this thread and all who have shared their finds.

Comment

Couple of Alabama Greenstones

Comment

Working...
                          X