• Time
  • Show
Clear All

i met this old indian guy at a knapp in once,he was from wyoming or montana
    he was in his mid 70's when i met him about 6 years or so back
    he worked on a ranch out there,also as a hunting guide
    but he was also a very accomplished knapper
    he told me he always carried a stone knife when he would guide hunters
    when the client would get their elk or bear or what ever else they would be hunting,he would then proceed to
    skin and dress the animal with his stone knife
    he said he could get through three elk without the need to resharpen the stone blade
    he always sharpened them with a beveled edge
    amazing what a properly beveled and sharp edge can do,and how long it will last

Comment

Is this a good example of beveling?

Comment

yup, that looks like a classic example of beveling
        if you look at it from the tip you will notice how the beveling gives it a rhombiod cross section

Comment

3 elk before it needs touching up ! thats cool! thats more than you can say for alot of modern knifes. i agree with everyone, its waayy easier to only touch up one side to put a nice edge back on a piece.thats kinda what i was getting at with the pic's. instead of bothering to realign both edges just take one side down till its sharp again.i sharpen my carbon carving knife the same way.a nice beveled edge gives a good chisel like cut, as opposed to a straight down the middle blade which i think is better suited for piercing or severing type cuts.
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Yep. I found a harahay that shows the rhomboid cross section very well.

Comment

codeman wrote:

Yep. I found a harahay that shows the rhomboid cross section very well.
              Harahay knives, I got an opportunity to see a collection of them late last year. A classic knife  has four apposing bevels and was never intended to be used to kill animals.
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

codeman wrote:

Is this a good example of beveling?

hmy: You songun :woohoo:  That looks like a hidden valley! No dickson, right? :dunno:  :dunno:  :dunno:  :dunno: Nice!
                http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Wow ,  that's a good one
                  South Dakota

Comment

Well josh I don't think the base is ground. Without grinding I think it would be classified as a Dickson.

Comment

Food for thought: It's possible that there was more than one reason to bevel a point. I think that a beveled dart point would have better penetration. I am not talking about a point that has two bevels on the same side. A left hand bevel or a right hand bevel would tend to twist when it hit a rib or heavy flesh. The modern two bladed broadhead was a poor design. The three bladed broadhead is a much better design (the blades are offset). Even the ancient Greeks and Romans used a three bladed bronze head. The beveled dart point would to some extent offset the blades.
                      Michigan Yooper
                      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Indian lore from my pops so take it with a grain of salt but on small points they made bevels to increase arrow twist and accuracy. Created a drag funnel almost like a drill bit wants to go straight. Also used for skinning and repairs as mentioned above but said the twist was intential on arrowpoints.

Comment

• CMD
                          CMD commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, that is actually one of the leading theories regarding the purpose of a bevel. And welcome to our forum!

• SDhunter
                          SDhunter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for the information and welcome!

Found this beveled little guy last month, it's 7/8" long. Twist and accuracy makes sense with this one. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0524.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	338111
                        Attached Files

Comment

Good bevel here ... my hunt Buddie found SW Georgia

Comment

• ILLannoyReb
                            ILLannoyReb commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nice tip on that one.

i got a question. Why are Daltons primarily right hand bevel and all other point types left hand?

Comment

• sailorjoe
                            sailorjoe commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi RD. I see clearly the apparent disagreement but really no real disagreement. What you are calling a left hand bevel is when one holds the point at the base and looks at it, the bevel is on the left side of the point. Yes, indeed it is. But a bevel like that is created by a right handed person holding the point/blade in his left hand and creating the bevel with his right hand-thus, a right hand bevel. You and I are seeing the same thing but saying it differently. Maybe I'm incorrect but my mentors told me that a right hand bevel was created by a right handed person and the bevel is on the left side but struck from the right. For example the points we see above with bevels on the left side were knapped by a right handed person, thus a right handed bevel. As for the Daltons you have experience with, I have no answer.
                            Last edited by sailorjoe; 01-15-2019, 11:20 PM.

• rockdigger
                            rockdigger commented
                            Editing a comment
                            sailorjoe so then in your terms of left and right. Why are daltons primarily left hand bevel? Thats something i never knew until me and a friend was at a show and he noted that to me. I started paying attention and sure enough almost all daltons are what you would say are left hand bevel. Thanks

• sailorjoe
                            sailorjoe commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi RD. Me again. I think I kinda got myself confused between left and right. I got a case of "oldfartitis"lol. I will edit my previous remark to correct myself. Sorry if I created any confusion.
                            Last edited by sailorjoe; 01-15-2019, 11:12 PM.

Found this one at my site in Lawrence Co. Tenn a couple years ago with a decent bevel. Any ideas on what type it could be? It's a tad over 2 in. long, and broke...bummer. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190111_121240.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	343503 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190111_121216.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	343504 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190111_121441.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	343505

Comment

• sailorjoe
                            sailorjoe commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It looks like a Lost Lake.

• ILLannoyReb
                            ILLannoyReb commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks man, that's what I was thinking but not confident enough to type these yet.

• wmwallace
                            wmwallace commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I actually think that piece may be a Pine Tree Corner notched. I say that because Lost Lakes normally do not show as much serrations as your pic does. On the other hand, Pine Tree's seldom show that steep of a bevel. Either way awesome piece and it does show a great bevel. _Bill
                        Working...
                        X