Busted Gorget and a ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted Gorget and a ?

I had a friend come by today and show his finds from last year; we hunt the same area here in NW Tn. He had some nice pieces. The material on the gorget is petrified wood and is awesome; is petrified wood commonly used for gorgets?

The point that stood out looking different than anything I have seen from around here is pictured below. Appears to be dark dover/fort payne;Any Ideas?

Comment

You sure the gorget isn't banded slate but stained? Other than color it looks like it. Maybe there is a brown banded slate as well?
      Karnak Stemmed? or maybe more likely a Saratoga Expanding Stem? That stem is loooong. Cool point.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Maybe it is banded slate; I have never found or handled any.  It looked just like you took a palm sander to a 2x4 :laugh:
        The point was a creek find and in my limited experience just doesn't look like most stuff from around here.

Comment

My guess is the Gorget is some type of banded slate. The blade reminds me of the Copena type, shield form. I believe the neck is just a little more constricted than most examples you see, but the Copena type fits the area well and was commonly made from Dover.
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I've been researching gorgets, excuse my naiveness.  Most are slate and I see the banded pattern!

Comment

Kyflintguy wrote:

My guess is the Gorget is some type of banded slate. The blade reminds me of the Copena type, shield form. I believe the neck is just a little more constricted than most examples you see, but the Copena type fits the area well and was commonly made from Dover.
                I agree on both counts. I love Dover!
              Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Like that long stemmed point! :woohoo:
                http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

My impression was Copena as well I agree banded slate brother. both nice artifacts too.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Awesome to have you guys!

Comment

Love that knife.   Wonder who the chief was that wore that Gorget?    I guess I'm assuming they were mostly worn by chiefs.
                      South Dakota

Comment

(in an Aussie dialect) Now that's a knife lol.  The darker color could be from minerals in the water.  Was it brackish, or salt water?
                        New Jersey

Comment

Agreed with KY. What a stem on the bottom piece. Awesome finds by your friend.

Comment

kayakaddict wrote:

(in an Aussie dialect) Now that's a knife lol.  The darker color could be from minerals in the water.  Was it brackish, or salt water?
                              All fresh water around here (nw Tn) ! The creek stain could be contributing to its darker appearance

Comment

Gorget, smorget....  That other piece is really cool and would probably perk the eyes of some local collectors.
                              The Mississippian people in Tennessee and Kentucky made small "daggers" or handheld knives, and I think that's what you might have.  Dagger is really just a European term for them, they were probably simple utilitarian knives.  Some people think they are a continuation of the Woodland Copena tradition, kind of like a super Copena on steroids.  Some of the groups in Illinois also made a similar handled knife that is typically clumped in with Morse blades.  They usually have a formed, distinct handle.
                              You can see the stylized versions in the Duck River Cache, but most of them are aren't ceremonial beauties.  There are a couple of collectors who have frames of them that are regulars at shows in the area.  Not a common find.
                              Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
                              X