what exactly is basal grinding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what exactly is basal grinding?

what does basal grinding mean? I see that term a lot, but don't understand it.

It is most common in the older points ie. paleo and transitional points.  The edges were apparently ground so as not to damage the binding.  The edges on these points at the base appear to be more polished than that of the cutting edge.  Under magnification, you may also observe striations from the grinding process.  That is my non-technical explanation.  There are others more qualified in this room to give you a better description.  Hope it helps anyway.  If you have access to any paleo or transitional points take a look at the base.  You can often feel the difference by rubbing your finger across the edge.

Comment

PHere are some examples illustrating basal grinding
      The first two are Palmer points that have had the base ground flat for hafting, presuming to avoid splitting the shaft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3 b [replaced].jpg
Views:	2030
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	210422

Name:	image-4 b [replaced].jpg
Views:	1983
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	210423

Name:	image-5 b [replaced].jpg
Views:	2015
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	210424

Here are 2 Rowans no grinding on the left point, the right point exhibits grinding half way toward the tip, even the flaking scars have been removed.

Comment

I have never seen you post before Butch, but I like the cut of your Jib.
        The base on the right shows some grinding.

Name:	IMG_0271 [replaced].jpg
Views:	1957
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	210425

Comment

The heavily ground base on the Wilson type is what turns me on. I love em..Grind baby grind!

Comment

I think I kinda understand......basically if the base has had the sharp edges removed indicates basal grinding?

Comment

Yes that is correct not only does the basal grinding make it less likely it would cut into the binding it also strengthens the base in that area.

On this Dalton the area outlined in red was heavily ground.  If you have a jewelers loupe 10X power is good enough  or a magnifying glass  start looking at your points with it close ups using magnification will help you get a grip on this terminology.
              Waterglass meet Butch he is a great guy. If you do a search on his name in the forum you will find many older posts attributed to Butch.  He is a great guy with a lot of NC artifacts knowledge.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

hoss, you really have to quit showing them killer daltons
                every time you post one i drool all over my key board,one of these times its gonna short out on me  :rolf:

Comment

Working...
                X