type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• type

Is anyone in the forum from upstate Vermont? I recently acquired this blade from a larger collection. Normally I would classify it as an Adena ovate blade. But it just doesn't seem to have the refinement of an Adena blade. And I'm not sure if the Adena people were that far north in the northeast. It's 6 1/2 in.

Any suggestions on type? It was found near East Highgate, Franklin Co., Vt. The material is Cheshire quartz that outcrops in the Green Mtn. area of Vermont. Thanks folks!
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

beautiful blade and material

Comment

Man, what an awesome blade! Not from the Vermont area so I'm not gonna offer a guess as to type.  But I think I will do some looking in the literature to see if I can learn something about the possibilities. Maybe some of the New England folks will jump in and offer an opinion. These large lanceolate blades can sometimes really be difficult to assign to a type

Comment

Beautiful blade. Really nice I wouldn't mind stumbling on that sticking up at me !

Comment

This blade is a consignment piece from a large collection I'm selling. I hate to put all of those bifaces into the Paleo category, many of them are Paleo. This was found very close to the Reagan Paleo site in East Highgate, Vt., and if I can show it's a Paleo biface, then it's worth much more than a typical Adena blade. Which of course is good news for my consignor. It was found back around 1930. I just want to price it accordingly, hopefully in my consignors favor.

Comment

When I click on "view" on the upper right of this page, I get the entire article. It's a critique of the suggestion that bipointed leaf blades are mostly Pleistocene in the East. It suggests these are Late Archaic-Early Woodland and compares such forms to Boats Blades. It shows examples from Vermont that are bipointed leafs. Hopefully you can access this page for the photos.....

From the above study. N is from Vermont.

Rhode Island

Comment

CMD - Thank you very much for taking the time to find this research in print. It looks like you nailed it. A Late Archaic/E. Woodland bipointed ovate biface! The blades listed with the letter N actually appears to be Franklin Co, Vt., where this blade is from. From this report, it also looks like many of the so called Solutrean " like " bifaces may also be included in this inventory. I was initially leaning away from Paleo and thinking Late Archaic. That's how I have it listed in my store. I just wanted other opinions, I knew I could count on my forum friends for good observations. Thank you!!!

Comment

Your welcome, Paul. It was an interesting article and well worth finding.
                Rhode Island

Comment

That makes this, in my mind anyway, more than just an artifact from another collection. It's very interesting to learn some details about the form. I may just buy it and keep for my own collection. I printed out the report you posted. To me that just adds more provenance and information. That's what good artifacts are made of! Information! From a market perspective, I wouldn't know what a blade like that would be worth. I think the importance of some artifacts out weigh all the monetary value. Thank you again, very much!

Comment

Here is a felsite bipoint leaf blade that I found on one of my sites. It was clearly utilized. Has the fine edge work such leaf blades are known for. Curtiss Hoffman lists these as Late Archaic-Early Woodland. This example is not as elongate as the examples shown in that article. But just thought I'd post it as an example of a bipointed leaf blade from RI. I found a second broken example, much bigger, within 10 feet of this one. Surface hunting. Most of these are rounded at the base. If the broken was a bipointed leaf, I estimate it would have been about 7" long. But no way of knowing. Finding these within feet of each other makes one wonder if a cache was involved, but looks utilized......

Edge work:

Rhode Island

Comment

That's a nice blade to add to anyones collection.
                      South Dakota

Comment

sweet edge work Charlie
                        This one is 5 and 1/4" long looks like some nice felsite to me. I saw a nice Orient made of similar material in Boudrreau's typology book.
                        This one was found by my Dad in New Milford CT. My dad had knocked on a farmers door asking for permission to hunt the property and they said "go right ahead." As he walked out to his car from the house he noticed a small section of lawn the had been replanted with grass. so he took a short detour to have a look and this was laying there right on top of the ground.

Here is a picture of the frame it is in. This frame is an inch above my monitor many beautiful points in this one for sure.  The two Gennessee points in the lower corners measure 5 and 1/4" long each. one was snapped and glued.

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

This is a beauty. I think this came from Enfield CT it says Enfield on the blade. Material is Basalt a screamer for sure.

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Some beautiful blades in this Thread!
                            Hoss that frame is gorgeous!  I love how it was done and it's one you could get lost in looking at all those great finds! Thanks for showing it!
                            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
                            X