No announcement yet.

Is this any good?-Microscope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilson wrote: :dunno: They sent me this. What do I do with a zip file? :dunno:  Please guide me through it. He said to unzip it and download the 2 drivers :dunno:
      Download that file (actually it’s a folder with 6 files in it) into a temporary directory on your computer. The default directory is usually “Downloads” which is fine… you can use that instead.
    You should then have a folder called:
    2014_05_03-mu+md-AmScope3.7.3036-Software-and-Driver.zip
    Right click with the mouse on that folder, make sure the box that says “show extracted files when complete” is checked and select the option “extract all”. Note that the exact wording may differ slightly in different versions of Windows.
    You should then see a group of 6 files:
    1) Driver1-AmscopeCamDshowSetup.exe
    2) Driver2-AmscopeCamTwainSetup.exe
    3) MU and MD Series General Camera Information.pdf
    4) MU-MD-Toupview-AmScope-Software-FAQ-2014.pdf
    5) Software-AmScopeSetup.exe
    6) ToupView_Software_Quick_Help_en.pdf
    Files 3, 4 and 6 are help files you need to keep for future reference.
    Files 1 and 2 are installation files for the drivers for the camera. File 5 is the installation file for the imaging software (Toupview). The next bit I can’t help you with completely. I would expect that if you install Toupview then it will automatically install the drivers as well. I also don’t know if this version of Toupview is more up to date than the one you have or if it’s only the drivers that are newer. I also don’t know if the two drivers can be installed independently of installing the software.
    I would say the safest bet would be to run that 5th file by double-clicking on it and in the expectation that it will install the new drivers as well. That’s what the tutorial video suggests will happen. If you get a message saying “Toupware version XX is already installed” then ignore it and let this version over-write what you already have.
    After installation, when you run the software, you will still need to select the camera model from the box at the left of the viewing screen (as per the tutorial video) to activate it.
    Keep all of those files somewhere safe in case you ever need to restore the software. They all need to be in the same folder to work properly.. You can delete the zipped folder you originally downloaded.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I thought toupview was for monoscopes?

Comment

Wilson wrote: I thought toupview was for monoscopes?
          Toupview is an image analysis and capture program. It works for video and still images and for 2D and 3D imaging but the program needs to know what type of imaging data is being fed to it. The files they sent you are for the Toupware program and the drivers that enable your camera to present image data to the program. That's why you need to specifically select your camera model from that box to the left of the main program screen when you run the program. A monoscope gives you a 2D image through a single optic channel. A binocular image potentially can be interpolated into 3D but only if the camera capturing the image is also binocular. Many microscope cameras work by capturing a 2D image through only one of the optic channels. You still haven't said what camera model was supplied with your microscope. If you have supplied the correct details to the maunfacturer then presumably they will have supplied the correct files. Ask THEM if you're in doubt.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I am following you closely. I have done everthing, I think. Amscope emaied me and asked me to take the camera out and hold it to a light to see if anything happens. I did and just a faint glow occured. The program is in and it recognizes th camera...MD35 is the number.  Somewhere it says 0.3? Man, I cant believe its this way. I was wondering if the 2x objective thingy needs to come off because the camera picks up no light when put on the scope. I will keep trying. Thanx....it seems like I'm a little bit closer

Comment

Wilson wrote: I am following you closely. I have done everthing, I think. Amscope emaied me and asked me to take the camera out and hold it to a light to see if anything happens. I did and just a faint glow occured. The program is in and it recognizes th camera...MD35 is the number.  Somewhere it says 0.3? Man, I cant believe its this way. I was wondering if the 2x objective thingy needs to come off because the camera picks up no light when put on the scope. I will keep trying. Thanx....it seems like I'm a little bit closer
              OK… so the camera model is an AmScope MD35 produced by United Scope (the “0.3” refers to the Megapixel rating of the sensor since this camera has been available with different degrees of resolution).
            Other users have reported issues with the software for this device (as opposed to the device itself). In addition to the latest versions of the drivers and software (released 9th May 2014 and the same version as the one for which you were given a download), there is also link to download a “patch” released on 7th February here:
            MD Camera Series PC Software and Drivers MD35, MD130, MD200 May 9, 2014 PC Software and Drivers v3.7.3036 (NEW) Software and Driver: (Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8) Click Here to Download   MD35 …

It says “MD35 Brightness Fix” - This patch will address brightness issues for users with an MD35 camera who just get a “black” or “no image” screen when using the AmScope Software.
            Since the patch was released 3 months before the latest software version, I would have expected the patch to have subsequently been built in to that software version… but maybe not if it only relates to problems experienced by some users. It would be worth checking again with AmScope if you need to install the patch as well, since it seems to describe your problem.
              You said you’re on Windows 8.1 so you can use the Windows Action Centre to check if the camera is working properly (at least as far as Windows is concerned, rather than as far as the proprietary software is concerned):
            If you’re using touch screen control on your computer, swipe you finger in from the right edge of the screen, then tap “Search”. (If you're using a mouse, point to the top-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, then click “Search”.)
            Enter “Devices and Printers” in the search box, and tap or click “Devices and Printers”.
            You should see a list of the devices attached to your computer, including your microscope camera. Anything which has a yellow warning triangle with an exclamation mark alongside it is not working properly.
            For any device, press and hold or right-click the listing, and then tap or click what you want to do… so for a yellow warning triangle, tap or click “Troubleshoot”.
              For information, you can also check for known issues with any device via the Windows online Compatibility Centre here:
            Explore the versatility of Microsoft’s Windows 11 operating system. Find out how our latest Windows OS gives you more ways to work, play and create.

That doesn’t help here because there’s nothing listed for any AmScope devices which means they haven’t been tested with Windows 8.1 (as opposed to there being either a positive confirmation or any reported issues).

Comment

You are amazing. Your name should be HELPshill. lol Thanx for your time. I almost give up. I downloaded brightfix and thats all it is, is a download. I opened it up and kinda same crap. Is it a program? Thank you for all of this. How do they sell the crap if its not up to date?, I guess when windows 10 comes out, they wont be able to do nothing. I dont even think they are up to date with windows 8.1. Carry on. They are talking with me and maybe something will come of it. I am ready to return it. Also, I am signed in with a microsoft account. Maybe delete everything and start over. The dang scope sure is heavy. PS, I didnt know that on the bottom of the page there was a page 2. Thats why I posted out of order yesterday.

Comment

Wilson wrote: You are amazing. Your name should be HELPshill. lol Thanx for your time. I almost give up. I downloaded brightfix and thats all it is, is a download. I opened it up and kinda same crap. Is it a program? Thank you for all of this. How do they sell the crap if its not up to date?, I guess when windows 10 comes out, they wont be able to do nothing. I dont even think they are up to date with windows 8.1. Carry on. They are talking with me and maybe something will come of it. I am ready to return it. Also, I am signed in with a microsoft account. Maybe delete everything and start over. The dang scope sure is heavy. PS, I didnt know that on the bottom of the page there was a page 2. Thats why I posted out of order yesterday.
                  I just dowloaded "brightfix" too and had a look at it. The website says it's a "patch" but it isn't !!!
                A "patch" in computing terms is a small file (usually an executable file with an .exe extension). Sometimes you have to move it to the directory where the problem program files are located and then double click to run it. The program then makes some small corrections to your setup or provides some additional files to correct an unexpected bug that has been reported by other users. It's like a mini-update to solve a specific problem.
                That's not a patch as any computer geek would understand it  :laugh: ... what downloads is a big zipped folder than seems to have a full version of the program with drivers and help files as before. Six files in total as before. To run it you need to extract the files (as explained previously, using right click/extract all) and then double click on the 5th file as before.
                Only AmScope will be able to tell you if it's likely to resolve your problem... or that there's no point because the patch is already built in to what you have.
                Did Windows indicate that the device is working properly?... ie no yellow triangle? That should at least tell you whether the drivers are working and - if so - would probably point the finger at the software itself.

Comment

Its kinda like yellow lines-faint. It  recognizes that it is there. I can take a photo of a black screen. I will try the brightfix thing.  It shows MD35 on screen. I click it and black appears

Comment

Wilson wrote: Its kinda like yellow lines-faint. It  recognizes that it is there. I can take a photo of a black screen. I will try the brightfix thing.  It shows MD35 on screen. I click it and black appears
                      No... what I asked was this:
                    If you use the Windows Action Centre to look at the devices attached to your PC, does it show the camera as working correctly? That is, can you see a small yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside it or not?
                    What I advised was this:
                    Assuming Windows show no problems with the device, only Amscope can tell you if you need to install that so-called "patch" and whether it's likely to resolve your problem.

Comment

I just realized something I didnt even think about. I have a working vista with webroot security. I am going to put this stuff in it and see if it works. Older computer maybe wont make as good of pictures. Cant hurt I guess. I  use that computer as a mobile computer. I aam looking for the action center now

Comment

Wilson wrote: I just realized something I didnt even think about. I have a working vista with webroot security. I am going to put this stuff in it and see if it works. Older computer maybe wont make as good of pictures. Cant hurt I guess. I  use that computer as a mobile computer. I aam looking for the action center now
                          I gave you a step-by-step instruction on how to access the Windows Action Centre earlier in this thread. The little yellow "device not working" indicator looks like this:

Whether your older computer gives you less good results will depend on whether it's handling a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows. The 64-bit versions will give you higher resolution. I'm not sure, but I think Vista installations generally came with both (as does Windows 8.1 if pre-installed) so it should be fine. You can check as follows:
                        Click the "Start" button
                        Click "Control Panel"
                        Click "System and Maintenance"
                        Click "System"
                        Your system type will be indicated by a 32 or a 64 against it.
                          I'm away for a long weekend from tomorrow, so good luck. 

Comment

OK, I got there. No yellow triangle but the camera is on the list. I have been wanting one for 2 years!!! Havent tried vista yet. It is a 32 whatever, not 64.   Now, check this out. This, I dont know how to say it....T's me off :evil:  How can they be so far behind in time and still sell the stuff?..If this screenshot is correct?

Comment

Golly....Well, I never got the camera working, but they are working with me. Throughout all this, I learned how to unpack a zip file and get to the drivers and install them   They sent me a receipt to return the camera so I did. After I sent it back I thought.....why don't I get a better camera while I am at it? I got back to Amscope and I am getting a better camera with new software. The scope works great and I am just getting used to it. I cant wait to be able to make photos and show them for discussion! (Y)  The light is junk. It is like a candle. It just keeps getting dimmer until it bows out and that happens fast so I now have a small lamp on either side. It has a 2X objective? I read on it and I think it says I would get a larger field of vision with a 1X?? The screws to take the eyepieces on and off are tiny-tiny and there are no extras. I need glasses just to see the screw head. Also, the light gets ultra-hot before it burns out. But I can see things I never have before. It seems powerful with 10X eyepieces in. I cant imagine what it will do with the 20X it also came with

Comment

I returned the camera and upgraded to a MD 300 3.0 MP camera. I got it to work. It came with a repair disc. It works pretty well. It is sensitive. I am wondering if I could make the viewing area larger? It says slide out objective, but I dont know what or where it is

Comment

Working...
                              X